iPhone international unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zackyc, Nov 13, 2010.

1. zackyc macrumors newbie

I'm going to New York in December for a holiday, and I noticed that due to the exchange rate I may be able to afford an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. What I was wondering however. Is there anyway that I can buy just the phone, without having to choose a plan?
    What I basically want to do is this. Buy the phone, return to the UK, have the phone unlocked and insert my Orange "Pay As You Go" Sim Card and use it from there.

Is it possible? I've heard many different things, some saying it will, some saying it won't.

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It wont be factory unlocked because it was purchased in the US. You could jailbreak it to unlock it afterwards but that's the only way you'd be able to use your SIM in it.

3. ValenR macrumors member

I bought an iPhone 4 at an Apple Retail Store in Texas without choosing a plan.

The iPhone is however tied to AT&T but if you don't mind jb-ing/unlocking your iPhone then you're good to go.

However, the phones are usually updated so if you're unlucky you'll have to wait for jailbreaks + unlocks to use your phone with any other carrier.