iPhone internet Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by byeehaaw, Mar 23, 2009.

1. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

hey guys i was wondering if i currently have an iphone 3g, and plan on switching to att, could i just get a att voice plan with internet on a regular phone and then put that sim in the iphone?? Would that work the internet work on the iPhone? I understand it wont be at 3g speeds but would i have internet service?

2. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

No, you'd need a data plan, otherwise your bill would be sky high.

3. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i mean if i bought a data plan for like a phone thats not an iphone, would the internet work on the iphone?

Another question:
    Say i bought a tmobile plan with a data plan. If i used an unlocked iphone, would i be able to use the data plan on the iphone?
    Any idea about tethering using 3.0 with tmobile? Att usually charges 30 bux but i hear tmobile is free?

4. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

I think so...yes. But don't hold me to that. :)

5. ronm3xico macrumors member

People say that you need a data plan, but I did a sim swap when I first got the phone. The process went like this.
    Get iPhone 3G.
    Call AT & T 2 days later saying that I lost my iPhone, would like to switch the data plan to a regular phones medianet for $15 a month. They said sure, and I needed to give them a regular (non-smart) phone IMEI. I gave them some LG flip phone's IMEI, and everything was fine. They still had me listed as an iPhone 3G so I kept getting an email once a month saying my data plan was wrong, but I checked all the data usages (once even 22mb downloaded at once from Cydia) and it said, 22mb, $0.00 on the bill. Paying $15 a month, happy as a clam.
    They don't really audit phones, so it's not a real problem.

6. byeehaaw thread starter macrumors 6502

would you have a problem going from a regular phone w/ data to an iphone?

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

There is only about 100 other threads about this same exact topic.

8. diemos macrumors 6502