iPhone Internet Speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StefRobinson, Feb 17, 2008.

1. StefRobinson macrumors newbie

I really want to buy an iPhone, but my concern was because it was not 3G, the Internet speeds would be fairly slow? What are your experiences of this? How do you find the speed of the Internet when you are not connected using WiFi?

Will the Interent speeds be substantially faster when and if the iPhone has 3G?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I used to be on Orange in the UK with a 3G phone. I would typically get between 280Kb/s and 320Kb/s. With the iPhone on EDGE, I get between 220Kb/s and 250Kb/s so it's actually not that much slower than Orange's (admittedly pathetic) 3G speeds.
    Subjectively, it seems much quicker than my old Orange 3G phone did, probably because Safari is much better than IE on WM5

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I have never been to a website on my iPhone while on edge that I couldn't load in a decent amount of time Try loading a website on edge while using a WM iPhone or a Treo or other phone.

I have a Sprint broadband card that I can use on my laptop and my Mac software tells me it is 3G. It is a bit slower than my DSL speed. When I do those internet speed tests on the speed, it shows about 1280 KBPS and my DSL is about 1350 or so. My edge speed usually tests out at about 64-200 depending on what time of day it is and how many people are on the network at the same time. My Wifi on my phone tests out at about 600 to about 800.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I was actually suprised at how fast it seems to download sites. I have used it everywhere from NC to FL. I have no issues with EDGE. I am sure 3G will be quicker and can't wait to see it happen!!

5. Offspring992 macrumors member

edge speeds are not that bad. I really don't see why everyone is complaining about it. Though luckily for me we have a campus wide wi-fi network so I always connect to that

6. m R g S r macrumors newbie

edge sucks compared to wifi..... But I'm spoiled by having wifi almost everywhere I go.... :p

7. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

EDGE only goes up to 128kbps

8. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Is there a test your speed site for your phone. Something like this http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html ? Just curious

EDIT: Just for fun I tried that speed test on my phone at home using the wifi in the house. Came up with 499.8 KPS That is pretty cool. I then shut off wifi used Edge only and ran again with 4 bars showing it gave me 174.4 KPS. Not bad I think. I never have trouble with speed or I am just easily pleased. That an it is phone after all. Anyone, else try want to try and post speeds. Sorry if this is a hijacking of the thread but it is in relation to the question of speed and the phone.

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

10. Flying Dutchman macrumors regular

Shoot, my fault, GPRS goes up to 128, EDGE goes to 192, my bad

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

sometimes if I don't cycle my iPhone every few days it'll start to freak out when I try to YouTube or use Safari...

The more I use the iPhone, it's as bug intensive as any other phone, but at least Apple releases updates and takes care of their problems in a timely manner.