Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I bought an iPhone 4 when they were new, and was looking for a good screen protector for it. Regular screen protectors weren't working well for me and after a few getting caught under my fingernails when pulling my phone from my pocket I decided to buy Zagg's Invisible Shield. So I bought the HD version.

I knew that they worked well using them a few years ago on things like iPods etc.... and I had hoped that it would do well on my iPhone. I knew that ll the oils and grease had to be removed from the surface of the screen, so I made some home made screen cleaner, (diluted rubbing alcohol) and prepped my phone for installation. There were no scratches on the screen before installation, no dust or lint. I followed the installation instructions and let it cure before using my phone again.

It looked really good for about 3 months and then I noticed that it was coming off around the earpiece. Maybe I didn't get all the oils out of the phone that I had hoped, but why was it doing this 3 months after installation? Then the following month I pulled it out of my pocket and saw something that looked like a big air bubble and I was a bit puzzled why there was an air bubble after 4 months when there weren't any after I installed it 4 months ago?

I discovered that it was the leather on my wallet that was causing this. I have a smooth leather wallet that I keep in my pocket with my phone, and when the screen touches the wallet too long it pulls the coating up from the screen. The mark is permanent, and whenever it touches my wallet it gets new marks.

The advertisement says they use this to protect helicopter blades, and they make it sound very bulletproof. However its no match for a leather wallet.

If you look in the picture you can see the crease from the bubble just above the home button marked by the arrow. I now have to remove the coating and kinda wish I just stuck with regular screen protectors. I don't think it's worth the money they charge for it if it cant be in my pocket with my wallet.

Attachments

• wrinkle1.jpg
    wrinkle1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 561

Tyga

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I bought an iPhone 4 when they were new, and was looking for a good screen protector for it. Regular screen protectors weren't working well for me and after a few getting caught under my fingernails when pulling my phone from my pocket I decided to buy Zagg's Invisible Shield. So I bought the HD version.

I knew that they worked well using them a few years ago on things like iPods etc.... and I had hoped that it would do well on my iPhone. I knew that ll the oils and grease had to be removed from the surface of the screen, so I made some home made screen cleaner, (diluted rubbing alcohol) and prepped my phone for installation. There were no scratches on the screen before installation, no dust or lint. I followed the installation instructions and let it cure before using my phone again.

It looked really good for about 3 months and then I noticed that it was coming off around the earpiece. Maybe I didn't get all the oils out of the phone that I had hoped, but why was it doing this 3 months after installation? Then the following month I pulled it out of my pocket and saw something that looked like a big air bubble and I was a bit puzzled why there was an air bubble after 4 months when there weren't any after I installed it 4 months ago?

I discovered that it was the leather on my wallet that was causing this. I have a smooth leather wallet that I keep in my pocket with my phone, and when the screen touches the wallet too long it pulls the coating up from the screen. The mark is permanent, and whenever it touches my wallet it gets new marks.

The advertisement says they use this to protect helicopter blades, and they make it sound very bulletproof. However its no match for a leather wallet.

If you look in the picture you can see the crease from the bubble just above the home button marked by the arrow. I now have to remove the coating and kinda wish I just stuck with regular screen protectors. I don't think it's worth the money they charge for it if it cant be in my pocket with my wallet.

Zagg stands behind their products. The Invisible Shields come with a lifetime warranty. I believe the way Zagg does their exchanges is that they send you some new protectors and hold $30 on your credit card. Once you send the old ones back, they release the $30. It's definitely worth looking into.

On a side note, you always want to make sure your iPhone is the only thing in that particular pocket.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I would say that it isn't the wallet damaging the screen protector, but more because when the leather touches the screen protector, the moisture in between them makes them stick together. When you peel away, looks like the wallet is grabbing the screen protector along with it.

Zagg has a lifetime guarantee so get a new one and put your wallet in another pocket. That, or sell the replacement they get you and try another screen protector.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I've had several Invisible Shield on several iphones and always with great results. I know they have a lifetime warranty so I would look into getting a replacement or credit for a new protector.

It does suck that this happened, I would send an email to Zagg explaining the situation and see what their recommendation is. Maybe you can bring to light a problem they didn't know existed and they can work on getting it fixed.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It's a screen protector and gets abused daily.... did you think it would be pristine for the life of the phone? I think your expectations are a bit over blown.

How many times do you pull it in and out of your pocket? How often do items rub against it? Come on now.... be realistic.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Zagg stands behind their products. The Invisible Shields come with a lifetime warranty. I believe the way Zagg does their exchanges is that they send you some new protectors and hold $30 on your credit card. Once you send the old ones back, they release the $30. It's definitely worth looking into.

On a side note, you always want to make sure your iPhone is the only thing in that particular pocket.

That's why I bought the invisible shield, hopefully when I get the time I can see about getting a refund or a replacement through them. I always try to make sure the phone is in a pocket by itself. I know how easy it is to scratch or break a screen with things in pockets, or for ladies with things in purses. I jut couldn't believe that my wallet ruined the screen protector so easily.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I just failed so hard at applying a Zagg invisible shield on my iPad 4... I'm so incredibly pissed off words can't describe... I ran out of solution trying to reapply it over and over... then I got hair stuck to the adhesive, airbubbles everywhere even after I squeegied...

I'm so disappointed in this product...

I can't believe for the money you pay, the don't include more solution spray and at least an extra Zagg shield...

20 bucks down the drain... plus I waited weeks for it in the mail...

Any advice, guys?

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
For some reason I never, ever carry anything in the same pocket as my phone. Just a habit for some unknown reason.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
It's a screen protector and gets abused daily.... did you think it would be pristine for the life of the phone? I think your expectations are a bit over blown.

How many times do you pull it in and out of your pocket? How often do items rub against it? Come on now.... be realistic.

You may want to be a little quiet on this one. People here on MacRumors don't think that way at all, lol. Telling someone here to be real is wishful thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.