iPhone iOS 4.01 Coming Soon - Signal / Baseband Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArmCortexA8, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Hi all

Just wanted to update everyone on the goings on regarding the iPhone 4 signal / reception issues. This is indeed a software issue, not the hardware, as the baseband software was changed and its not switching frequencies quickly / correctly, hence you end up with the "no service" message. This also explains Steve Jobs response from an iPhone 4 user.

Looks like iOS 4.01 may be out as early as Monday. Full story here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/25/death_grip_hysteria_may_end_monday_with_ios_4_01.html

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Considering it was front-page 6 hours ago on MR with an e-mail from SJ himself, and the 4.0.1 rumor was scooped a couple days ago (and not by AppleInsider, but TiPB), this isn't really an "update." Thanks for trying anyway though.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What I don't understand is that with an issue as major as this, in a forum that is basically a massive crowdsourced Apple news site, can't people just assume first that it's already been posted, or at the very least search or visit the headline portions of this site.

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Hopefully it will fix the problems for those that have them.

I'm sure all the armchair cell phone engineers will come out of the woodwork to say they aren't really fixing anything.

5. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

There has been no official statement by anyone, even Steve Jobs himself, that any update or fix for anything is actually coming. People are misinterpreting what Jobs says in his incredibly terse and ofttimes quite rude (but it's Steve Jobs so nobody cares) responses.

The original "rumor" started from a posting made at the Apple Support forums, wasn't made by an actual Apple employee or support rep, and has since snowballed out of control for the past day or so, but still nothing official has been said.

People are taking what Jobs says and trying to find the Holy Grail buried in it, I swear. It's gone past ludicrous several times and just keeps coming back...

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

"armchair cell phone engineers"......:)

7. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I called apple support yesterday. Opened up a case. They told me they are working on a software fix. Call yourself if you don't believe. 800-myiphone (I think you leave off the last "e").

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Don't you know? Around here it's post first, read second :)

9. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

If you spoke to anyone in Tech Support, that's nothing official - they aren't allowed to say anything of that sort within any official capacity, and the calls are recorded. None of those people would dare lose their jobs just to offer you a morsel of "insider info" - it's not worth it to them when it's infinitely easier (and far less costly) to simply read the script staring them in the face on the monitor.

Besides, admission of "a fix in progress" connotes they have a problem and Steve Jobs himself - in one of those ridiculously terse emails - says there is no problem, of any kind. Think some lowly Tech Support worker, even a "Tier 1 Supervisor" is going to risk his Apple position and go against "The Man" himself? I don't think so...

Until it's posted as a support/knowledge base article, or Steve Jobs himself puts up a notice - and I don't mean some stinkin' terse abbreviated cryptic email - it's unofficial, period.

10. PhoneI macrumors 65816

They certainly know more than you.

11. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

You'd be rather unpleasantly surprised at just how inaccurate that belief is, I assure you.

12. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Well it that would be nice if it works. I'd really like them to include a toggle option to display signal strength in dB but that's just wishful thinking. :)

13. glanv macrumors regular

Blimey! This is a forum - why can't people start a thread for discussion, which is what a forum is for. I understand that repeating questions info can be annoying & pointless, but most Apple subjects have been covered in one form or another and one could argue that even because of a very loose connection/similarity to another post that nothing at all should be posted!

Honestly, all I have seen on this forum today is either complete rudeness & arrogance, or the infamous comment along the lines of "search before you post". The ironic thing is how many times has someone posted about searching before posting, and yet that very comment itself (in one form or another) has been posted immense amounts of time?!

Come on everybody, let's treat this as a forum and discuss subjects accordingly. :)

14. dabunique macrumors member

u took da words right of my mouth lol
    lately people have been so rude. The person who made this thread honestly must have thought this was important for people to see. Yes I have read before about the software update but hey it doesn't hurt to find out more.
    How bout if u have nothin nice 2 say, keep it 2 urself

15. Iphonelvr macrumors member

+1

16. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Ok, if they knew nothing, they would know as much as you. How many negative apple posts have you made here the last few days? I know it's a lot.

17. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Every post I've made has simply pointed out the defective and flawed nature of this iPhone 4 that I currently own and can't use as demonstrated in Apple's own product media and marketing videos and as such are actually positive in the sense that I'm sharing my experience just as so many others are.

Comments such as mine are only "negative" when viewed through the silly "magical 3D" glasses that Cult of Mac members get when they're initiated... or didn't you get the memo?

18. Jason-Houghton macrumors regular

Jason-Houghton

Old news.

19. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Didn't you post yesterday about the "bumper conspiracy"?

20. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9