Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Will it be released tomorrow or will it be released wednesday. I think tomorrow since Apple I think always releases ios builds on tuesdays. What do you think. Also i dont know if this has been asked already. so yeah

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
You might want to recheck the link before posting. 8 September date was REMOVED.

But I seem to recall elsewhere hearing something about "Wednesday" so they might just be covering themselves.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
I hope so. I'm waiting out for the prox to be corrected. I see if the update will fix the issue before I go to apple and complaine. I want to give them a chance first.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Well the alleged GM version is available on the interwebs...8B117 I think is the build number...

Installed it on my wife's 3G this morning and definitely is better than 4.0 so far, almost usable!

No game centre - so don't know if thats an app I need to download or if it's yet another feature the 3G can't run (officially).

So glad I got my Nexus One and escaped iPhone land :)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well the alleged GM version is available on the interwebs...8B117 I think is the build number...

Installed it on my wife's 3G this morning and definitely is better than 4.0 so far, almost usable!

No game centre - so don't know if thats an app I need to download or if it's yet another feature the 3G can't run (officially).

So glad I got my Nexus One and escaped iPhone land :)

game center is not on the 3G, at least on the GM, but it is on the GM for 3GS and 4, so looks like another feature on the 3G, but do you really expect it since iOS 4 just about runs on the 3G as it is?? it's just like with the original iPhone not being supported much with 3.0.

as for release, it's obvious they're aiming for 8th Sept, but pulled the date from the UK site just to cover themselves incase they need to delay it a bit for some reason.

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
Sorry, but theres no way i believe Game centre can't run on a 3G!

Think I'll switch her over to android in Jan when the contracts up in Jan - Apple could learn a thing or two from Android in as far as supporting older devices!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Think I'll switch her over to android in Jan when the contracts up in Jan - Apple could learn a thing or two from Android in as far as supporting older devices!

um doesn't their new software not actually run on 2 year old devices? or if so, limited functionality? most companies ditch supporting older devices/software when the new one is out, it's nothing new.

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008

That is like wanting to Run Windows 7 on a Pentium 2. These are basically pocket PC's. Like you said, OS 4 is almost usable on the 3G. Why would you want more features on it to make it less usable? Sometimes, if you want all the bells and whistles, you need to upgrade. I don't expect anything like this to run on my first gen iPhone

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007

Ah, good old Android, where you have to wait for 6 months before new firmware will run on new devices.

Yes, that's a much better tradeoff.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM

Have fun, good luck getting the Android smartphone manufacturers to even look at a device that old let alone provide a decent upgrade.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
You are a programmer? If you think Apple is using the withholding of Game centre as upgrade bait, that makes no sense...

Android is Google. Android phones is fragmented hardware by various manufacturers. Apple already learned from Windows Mobile about that...

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Apple could learn a thing or two from Android in as far as supporting older devices!

HA! That's a good one :) The Android market is getting so segmented that I'm not too sure anyone could tell you what unit supports what firm upgrade (if any) and comes with what software or UI installed without some sort of slide rule guide. One of the big knocks against most all other phone makers aside from Apple is what you buy is what you get (this includes bugs as well) for 2 years of subsidized contract. Apple seemed pretty out of place when they were actually updating and improving their devices over time. Nice to see Android is being dragged along in that trend .... maybe, sometimes.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Have fun, good luck getting the Android smartphone manufacturers to even look at a device that old let alone provide a decent upgrade.

Don't forget, some Android manufacturers actually sign the kernels, so there isn't just no way to upgrade... unless people find a way to get past that, there is no way to upgrade unofficially either.

If you do Android, buy a HTC device. Some of them like the Nexus One (RIP) actually have a thriving modder community and will get the latest ROMs, official or no as soon as they come out.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
If Apple withholds the Gamecenter app from the iPhone 3G it's upgrade bait, pure and simple. There is no reason whatsoever it can't run.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I installed 4.1 on my iPhone 4 and it works great so far. If you don't know where to find it then look around...:)
There is also a way to upgrade to the new version instead of restoring it. Just hold opt and command and click on the search for updates button in iTunes. That way iTunes will use the firmware file to update the iPhone.

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I installed 4.1 on my iPhone 4 and it works great so far. If you don't know where to find it then look around...:)
There is also a way to upgrade to the new version instead of restoring it. Just hold opt and command and click on the search for updates button in iTunes. That way iTunes will use the firmware file to update the iPhone.

where did you get the update from?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I find Gamecenter to be a nice addition to the platform but of course I could live without it.

I don't know what the final version will look like, but from what I saw in the GM builds it was very basic. Openfeint has had much more time to mature. The only positive from Gamecenter is that I hope most if not all apps adopt one network. It's annoying to have to sign up for so many which have no integration with each other

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't know what the final version will look like, but from what I saw in the GM builds it was very basic. Openfeint has had much more time to mature. The only positive from Gamecenter is that I hope most if not all apps adopt one network. It's annoying to have to sign up for so many which have no integration with each other

I think that Apple is a bit worried about Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Live.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
You might want to recheck the link before posting. 8 September date was REMOVED.

But I seem to recall elsewhere hearing something about "Wednesday" so they might just be covering themselves.

Just because it was removed doesn't mean it's not true, they obviously posted the date by accident and then quickly removed it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.