iPhone iOS 4.2 - 3G internet issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nawie, Dec 1, 2010.

1. nawie macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2010

I have an iPhone 4 and since updating to iOS 4.2 I'm experiencing some problems with the 3G connection. I do have good coverage and the menubar says that i have a 3G connection so I have ruled out those factors.

It is difficult to describe but if we see it as a timeline like this:
    (start time) --xxx--xxx--xxx--xxxxx--xxx (end time)
    the x is where the internet connection doesn't work and the - is where I can transmit and receive data over the cellular network. Each connection disruption lasts for approximately 1-2 minutes, then the connection works for a couple more minutes before next the disruption.

I don't experience any problems while connected to Wi-fi. I do experience the same problem on my MBP when i tether with the iPhone.
    I have tried to restore the network setting on the phone (Settings -> General -> Restore -> Restore network settings), but it didn't help. I have tried to restore the iPhone with iTunes and then restoring it with my iPhone backup, but that didn't work either.

I do believe that the error is in the iPhone backup and will be restored to the iPhone as long as I restore to the backup. I could go on and use a clean iPhone sync, but then I would lose all my data. Particularly over 26000 SMS messages, some of them extremely important.

So my question is:
    - How can I fix this issue with the current iPhone backup I have?
    - How can I copy all important data from an old backup to a new one? (SMS messages and app-data)
  2. iPhone4lieben macrumors newbie

Dec 6, 2010
    I have been experimenting the same problem as you. Unfortunately, I haven't found any solution yet either. The only way to make your connection work again for another few seconds/minutes is to switch Airplane mode off and on after. It works, but doesn't fix the issue itself.
  3. nawie thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2010
    Well, as long as I could figure out a way to copy my sms messages from one iphone backup to another it wouldnt be a big issue as I could just restore my phone.
  4. PaulDaigle macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2010
    Well I'm having the same issue...at times my network drops over 3g..I never had any issues before the update to 4.2. Do I downgrade to 4.1 or wait for a fix???:confused: