iPhone/iOS is just a game of diminishing returns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbyIdol, Sep 28, 2014.

1. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

I've been a loyal Apple user since 2007, when I made the switch from clunky desktop PC's to my brilliant (and still in use today!) Macbook Pro. My first smart phone was a Droid (the first Galaxy S), and it was such a buggy POS that I couldn't wait to get my hands on an iPhone.

Everything about moving to Apple for me was a constant life upgrade. The slogan "It just works" has followed Apple products for so many years. But these new post-Steve Jobs developments are not only disappointing, but show a company that is less leading the industry and instead trying to play catch up.

I feel like Apple, in particular the iPhone and iOS developments, are just a losing game of concessions for many consumers. Instead of taking functionality you rely on and improving it, they are now destroying basic user interface experiences, if not removing simple functions entirely.

I was not impressed with iOS 7 when it dropped last year. Held out on iOS 6 until a couple weeks ago when I realized I better get used to it, since I'm going to have to upgrade my 4S soon anyway and what choice do I have?

Equally, I'm not impressed with the iPhone 6 (or especially the 6 Plus). The regular 6 isn't a bad phone, but it's changes from the 5S are not strong ones, IMO. The form factor is clumsy, almost too thin and slippery in the hand. The slightly increased screen size is sort of nice, but for someone like myself who is still using a 4S, I don't really need giant screen real estate (a personal preference, I know).

And not surprisingly, much of the world does not seem impressed with iOS 8. At all. I miss the Steve Jobs era of Apple product and software development. The vision was strong, unified, and yes, IT JUST WORKED.

I really don't want to consider Android again, but it's possible that on my upcoming phone upgrade, I may actually research and consider Android. I may just get the 5S (an upgrade for me) to stay with the Apple ecosystem, in hopes that things improve overall. But again, it's a losing game of concessions -- I can get the 5S for now, use it for a couple years at max, but inevitably have to move to the iPhone 6 or 7 or whatever is out by then. And at this rate, the changes will once again not be impressive to me.

Dammit Apple. :( :apple:

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

I don't understand your point.

Both iOS and Android are pretty much at a point now where the Hardware won't be changing that much and the software are just additional tweaks and refinements without much big bang features. Ask yourself, what ELSE could iOS and Android add to the software that'll be groundbreaking? Or ask yourself, how can Apple and Samsung design their phones to look differently while still usable?

1) Hardware
    We are at the point now where smartphone hardware has matured. In its current form, we really won't see other type of smartphones design. It'll be a rectangular slab. Period.

2) Software
    Apple started with perfecting the core functionality (Phone, Mail, Browser, and Music... as Steve said it) and user experience early on while slowly adding features to the iOS (apps, multitasking, widgets, etc) more recently. Android actually went the other way where they have tons of features early on and they slowly refining the user experience as the time goes on (UI uniformity, smoothness, etc)

At this point most people are invested in one platform or another and there is very little reason to switch if you are already using a smartphone as both products are equally good and most often than not, suitable for your day to day tasks.

Just pick one that floats your boat. Wearables is the next frontier. While smartphones still have ways to go as far as adoption rate, I think the winner will be determined by how they interact with the companion wearable devices instead of as a standalone phone.

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Having been an Apple user since 1989 and having seen many ups and downs i'd say that your commentary is overblown. Furthermore Steve Jobs is dead, so there's absolutely no point in pining for him whatsoever. Personally I think Apple is doing fine under Cook. Much better than I expected. My advice to you would be to calm down.

5. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

You seems to say that with Jobs gone the innovation moved to Android and the various Aandroid hardware manufacturers? There is nothing to support that.

Also good luck finding an Android phone with a 4" screen and the latest software.

I'm afraid you're stuck between a rock in a hard place.