iPhone iOS4 on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IrishTiger, Jun 8, 2010.

1. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Okay - so from what I'm understanding, I CANNOT get the software upgrade for my iPhone 3G? I have a new iPad 3G, so it's not that critical. I probably won't get the new iPhone 4G until this one kicks the bucket.

I would definitely like a software upgrade, but I from how I see it, it's only going to be for 3GS people. My contract is going to expire in November, so I may be able to upgrade to the iPhone 4G at some point for a reduced cost. I don't know what to do.

What would you guys do?

2. agjake01 macrumors regular

Thought we could upgrade the 3G and 3GS model to O4?

3. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

From what I read the iPhone 3G will take the upgrade to iOS4 BUT there will be some features that will not be supported (ie: multitasking).

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

That is correct. The hardware in the 3G cannot support multitasking and I'm not sure what the other missing features are, but it should be expected that some elements of the software won't work on older hardware.

5. honeytoast macrumors regular

iOS 4 support both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. Multi-tasking does not work on the 3G.

6. honeytoast macrumors regular

You also don't get homescreen wallpaper on the 3G.

7. agjake01 macrumors regular

Seems a little rediculous that :apple: decided not to allow multi tasking or wallpaper on the 3G, JB has allowed this for quite a while...

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Yeah, but be honest, I JB, and the backgrounding makes the 3G terribly slow and laggy, it just does, it really cant handle 2 or 3 heavy apps at once, fess up, because my 3G can barly run Pandora, Mail and Beejive in the background without slowing to a crawl...

9. agjake01 macrumors regular

Guess so.. I don't really multi-task much and haven't had issues as a result. Will be offloading the 3G for a shiny new toy anyways, just trying to decide if I'll get more for it locked or unlocked.

10. IrishTiger thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think what I'll do is just go ahead and upgrade to the new iPhone then. Might as well since I skipped the 3GS model. It's just more money to spend, that's all. I mean I have no problem with my 3G, and it's running like a champ. I have no real reason to get a new phone, but I'm kind of tempted to use my upgrade option and do the $299 thing.

The only thing that would stop me from doing that is if we could get POSITIVE confirmation that the iPhone 4 will be available on Verizon at some point, because I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

I'm just not sure what to do, but I'll keep monitoring the boards and start making a decision.