iPhone -> iPad Bridge?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alan111, May 2, 2011.

1. alan111 macrumors regular

I think a great app would be for the iPhone and the iPad to integrate together.... something similar to (dare I say) "BlackBerry Bridge"?

I think it would be great to have full access to your iPhone or iPad (or visa versa) from one or the other. I use my iPhone and iPad daily. I much prefer to answer emails and any other typing relating things with my iPad. It's just so much easier.

It would be great if we can have the iPhone's apps such as text messaging, emailing and calendars, safari, etc, sort of connect to the iPad where they can be managed from either device. This can be achieved by bluetooth.

I know many of you will just suggest to get a mobileme subscription, but wouldn't it be nice to have this functionality?

I already have my calendars and email synced on both devices, but it would be great to have this functionality.

What do you guys think?

2. Skika macrumors 68030

i suspect something like this in iOS 5. Along with AirDrop to drag and drop files with your mac.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Whats wrong with MobileMe? I have MobileMe and for what your describing I have already been doing for some time now, and it works fine.

One of the big problems with what your asking for is that you have to assume that every iPad owner is also an iPhone owner (and vise versa), which is simply not true. The same goes for the PlayBook, I don't own a Blackberry phone and so if I decide to buy a PlayBook today, its functionality will be severally limited to me out of the box and I don't think Apple wants to limit the users functionality of their device unless they own both devices.

4. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

You mistook my concept. It would be nice if we can have the option. I'm not proposing that one device should be fully reliant on another device - rather there would be sort of like a "share" button where the 2 devices can connect and send a screen or info or something.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Get a MobileMe Subscription. What you're asking is exactly what MobileMe is made to do.

6. Skika macrumors 68030

But what about SMS and calling? It would be nice to be able to write sms on iPad that would get sent through iPhone, or answering calls through iPad? And MobileMe requires internet, this all could be done with bluetooth.

7. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

All true points. It would be great to answer SMS and possibly route a Facetime of phone call through the iPad.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So you get a phone call and both your iPhone and iPad begin to ring and you would rather reach for the iPad to answer that call, really?

9. Skika macrumors 68030

Well if im on the sofa browsing web, and the iPad would display a call i would take it yes.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPad IS NOT a phone!

11. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

You didn't read the thread.
    It would be great to possibly route or forward a Facetime or phone call through to the iPad. This can be achieved by a "share" button or something of some sort.

12. Skika macrumors 68030

DERP."A phone is not a computer why have email and browse the web on it" HERP?

I know its not a phone, and im not asking it to be. I just think some integration between the 2 would be a cool feature.

13. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

but it can be used as one

14. macaddict3 macrumors member

great idea but i think it wont be called bridge b/c bridge is like bb with bb playbook

15. alan111 thread starter macrumors regular

The name was just for theoretical purposes.
    It could be called Apple Share or Apple Connect or something.

16. tmash macrumors newbie

This is similar to the HP Touchpad/Pre 3 implementation, looks like a great feature.

To go one step further, I'd also like to see itunes/video sharing between iDevices. I have a 16GB ipad and a 32GB iphone 4 and would like to be able to share music and movie libraries between the two. I had hoped that Home Sharing would allow this, but sadly it only allows computer to iDevice, not iDevice to iDevice.

17. chadam macrumors member

chadam

If and only if we could actually generate and or participate in a FT call over BT. Which at the present we cannot.

18. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

This would be awesome.

Example when your iPad is connect to your iPhone, SMS, calls, facetime, etc are both displayed on both devices. can answer from each one.

fling photos/files from one another

19. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

This would be ideal.

Optional automagic "sharing" of SMSs and a per-call or always-on "Send to my iPad" of calls (perhaps implemented as just another option on the menu as available when connected to a Bluetooth device - I often switch between the iPhone and my car's BT set-up)

20. princealyy macrumors regular

My borther has his android phone do something similar when he hooks it up to his laptop to share and use the screen.

Apple will make something like that I am sure ... But I'm sure carriers wont like the idea of sharing ... i.e. AT&T hates the blackberry bridge.

21. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Maybe Im misunderstand what the OP is asking but the only thing the iPad can't do out of your requests is forward FaceTime calls and send/receive texts. Emails are synced across all devices with a standard IMAP email account. Calendars can be synced using gmail. Bookmarks can be synced via iTunes when you plug it in. How much more of a "bridge" do you want?

22. stufried macrumors newbie

The advantage would be being able to share your data between your iPhone and iPad without getting getting into the entire fight with ATT about tethering. For example, I'm grandfathered on ATT's former iPhone International plan which gives me unlimited on device data on my iPhone. I can't afford to give that plan up and even pay for a MiFi from Verizon in the US for my data, but I travel abroad, and live twelve miles from a Canadian City of 300,000. The ability to answer an email from my iPad would be great.

If you aren't ask lucky as I am and you travel to another country and buy a prepaid SIM, it would be nice to share the single connection you purchased and are buying by the meg between two devices. Bridging makes a ton of sense. We can wirelessly sync with our cameras and other devices. Allowing an local syncing would make a fair amount of sense.

I can't speak to the original poster's intent, but I presumed that this would be a pay app. You can make a decent profit if 10% of the users are interested in this feature.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It would be great if SMS finds its place in history. I never really understood why people today still writing SMS. Yes, it might be few clicks faster. But all our phones have full eMail clients.
    And here MobileMe comes back in game: it syncs perfectly all my iP* devices. Mails, Notes and Calendar. For the rest iDisk or DropBox or whatever fits.
    Replicating SMS across devices I would count as digital waste.

Forwarding Facetime call on the other side is a good idea.

24. Skika macrumors 68030

Very true, and u got me thinking, even voice calls in the way we are using it today is obsolete, it could easily be replaced with internet calling or voip. Just a matter of time i think. Imagine 1 standard for voice calling that would take place through data/internet that the carriers and tech companies would agreed to, a really low min/cost and free when on wifi. I mean we use tech/standards for simple calling that were developed for nokia 3310 like devices. Times have changed.

25. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

What I recently read there is a service in Japan for that; they even have their own prefix 050. Full VoIP inside their net. Bridging again cost money.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/sipthat/050-area-code-for-voip-in-japan.asp

But yes: that is the future. Voice should just become binary data officially. Technically it's anyway.

Actually during our recent earthquake here in Japan voice on mobile didn't worked but data ... So I could reach my wife via FaceTime on her MBP and see my family safe. A d Google Maps showed me the way to wok home as public transportation was down, too. I love data !