iPhone XS iPhone/iPad Capacity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unibility, Dec 17, 2018.

1. unibility macrumors 6502a

Is the capacity of an Apple device more important to you than the generation of the device? I would have stayed with the iPhone X 256GB but when I saw that Apple released the iPhone XS 512GB, I said I would like to have that despite the similarity of the previous generations. The larger capacity many times draws me in. That said the new iPad Pro 11 inch with 1TB seems awesome, but I already have the iPad Pro 10.5 512GB and that was costly so I'm going to stick with the 10.5 inch for a while. I'm actually hoping for an OLED option eventually.

2. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Not really but I can upgrade when I wouldn’t have if I want more storage. I upgraded my iPad Air to the iPad Air 2 to get 128GB.

I probably would have gotten the max in 512GB if it were in stock but I’m only using about 90GB of my 256GB Xs max and used the same on my 256GB X.

My iPad Pro 10.5 is 256GB and my iPad mini 4 is 128GB.

3. unibility thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iPad mini 4 has 128Gb also. Mainly use it to read eBooks.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Buying a device with way more memory than needed is a waste. If you need it, buy it. I stuck with the 512GB 11" iPad as I was only using about 375GB on my previous device. Room to grow.

5. purged, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Nope , I don’t buy if I don’t want to, storage or generation of device doesn’t matter to me. I’m heavily invested in iCloud anyway. 64GB is more than enough for me at present.

7. MacLappy macrumors 6502

I use to think that the biggest capacity was always the right choice.

It was probably true in the early days but since iOS devices started hitting 128GB, I never bought any device with a higher capacity because my usage has been about 50GB give or take, the most filled iOS device I had was slightly more than 60GB full.

Currently my iPad has 104GB of free space. my iPhone XR has 80GB free.

So I think 128GB is the sweet spot for me.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Ah, man! Now I have to go through my want/need speech! :D

I disagree that it's a waste because I purchase based on want. 99% of the time my purchase also meets need, but when it comes to iPhones I always buy the max storage available.

This is one of the reasons I tend to stay on a phone for 3.5 or more years. Usually the max storage is really expensive.

If I waited until I had a need for everything I went out and got, I would never get anything I actually wanted.

Purely from a use/cost benefit analysis, yes you're right. But generally other factors come in to play for me when buying. You can't put those in the analysis because it doesn't make any sense; how do you quantify want?

If I had to justify every purchase I made based on need, I'd be screwed. :)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---
    With iPhones capacity trumps model, except if I already have the max capacity of my current model and can't afford the next model (yet).

I always get the max storage offered. I don't usually need it, but as I've explained above I don't buy based on need.

When it comes to iPads though, capacity (or model) is less important to me.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2018 ---
    The right choice is always what you want - or what works best for you. Sometimes it's even what you need.

9. ericwn macrumors 68030

As long as you have a use for all that capacity it’s fine. If it’s just another hollow incentive to make a new purchase, probably not so much.

What data is so important that you need to have it on local storage at all times?