iPhone/iPad rarely shows up in iTunes over wifi?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by truth1ness, Mar 27, 2015.

1. truth1ness macrumors regular

I have Wifi sync turned on on my iPhone and iPad but when I open iTunes it's a crapshoot whether they will actually appear in the devices section to sync/configure/transferfiles/etc. Sometimes they both show up, sometimes one, and sometimes neither (the majority of the time neither). This is really frustrating. Is there some way to "kick" either the iOS device or iTunes into finding each other? Sometimes rebooting a few times fixes it but this takes forever for something that's supposed to save time. After all these years of wifi sync I'm still having to use the cable probably 80% of the time. There is no problem with my wifi, every other network service seems to work great, and I'm using an Airport Extreme router.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I feel like I wrote your post. I have nothing to add but ditto.

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

Ditto here too. After numerous iOS and iTunes updates over the years, and finding that it STILL doesn't work, I gave up and turned on iCloud Backup. I don't use iTunes anymore unless I absolutely need to.

It's almost like Apple made a conscious decision to drive people to iCloud by keeping iTunes Wifi Sync so wonky.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I had lots of issues on my windows PC as well. I upgraded to a Mac last year and it's been working great since.

5. jimholcomb macrumors newbie

My IOS devices have only been hooked up to an iMac and wifi connection has always been a crapshoot.

6. Ollé macrumors member

Ollé

Yep, same here. Nothing to add, just pretty much a carbon copy of what you describe.

7. immigrantsong macrumors member

Same here too...it's very frustrating. All the more so because when Apple first came out the Wifi sync, it worked very reliably.

Then several versions later of IOS, the wheels came off and became very flaky and inconsistent and unpredictable.

So in spite of iMac with up to date Yosemite, up to date AirPort Extreme, Up to date iPhone 6+, IPad Mini and so on....I know rarely can get Wifi synce to work.

Like others have stated, you reboot the iMac and iTunes and try Wifi sync after that and it will often work....but then it the next night....and whoosh...it fails again.

Very frustrating.

8. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

Same here, but on Windows. Honestly, I believe it's iTunes, not iOS. They horked that up years ago and really don't seem to care. It's a pretty (eye candy), useless interface now.

9. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign