iPhone & iPad Universal App Inc UITabBarController

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by sleaver, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sleaver macrumors member

I want to make a universal application because the number of differences won't warrant two separate apps. However it will be make use of a tab bar controller and on some tabs I will want to use a different XIB, e.g. On one tab I will use a UISplitviewController but on the iPhone I obviously will do using single table views on the same tab.

Therefore is it possible and if so what's the best way to go about it? In IB you say which XIB to display so how to you vary it or will I have to create the tab bar controller in code?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Don't forget that if you want to use a UISplitViewController it must be the root view controller or it won't work.

3. sleaver thread starter macrumors member

Does that basically mean I can't even have one in a UIViewController that is displayed from one of the tabs? If not has any one seen the following and have any comments?

http://mattgemmell.com/2010/07/31/mgsplitviewcontroller-for-ipad

If that is OK then I would still also appreciate an answer on the original question :)

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's what it means.

There have been a few other threads in this forum discussing mixing split views with tab bars. You may want to check those out, as well.