Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cordovavol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
next week and need for my battery to last about 4 1/2 to 5 hours. In my training runs, the battery would be almost empty. I have tried putting the phone on the Edge network, lowering the brightness as well as airplane mode. Any other tips? Thanks

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
are you leaving the screen on or something??? theres no way your iphone would run out of battery after 5 hours of just playing mp3s.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
Turn the 3G off, bluetooth and wifi off, and location services off. That way you should have more battery, works for me...You dont need them when ur running anyways right?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A better place to start would be the race rules:

Marathon FAQ said:
Can I run with an iPod/headphones?
No. The use of headphones and other music devices during the event is prohibited and grounds for disqualification. USATF, the governing body for long-distance running and track & field in the U.S., adopted the rule in an effort to increase runner safety. The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is a USATF-sanctioned event.

See here.

So the battery thing doesn't really matter. Sorry!

cordovavol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Obviously you are not a runner b/c EVERY marathon has that rule and more than 1/2 of the participants in EVERY race use MP3 players. They will disqualify you if you win, but my 4 1/2 hour finishing time will not put me on the winner, winner chicken dinner stand.

Thanks for all the tips on the battery saving techniques!

dkeninitz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2003
Germantown, MD
I'm assuming you have a 3G phone, and that you've downloaded the 2.1 update. My 3G battery life improved dramatically as a result of that update. Previously, I was getting about 6 - 7 hours, with 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, location services and push turned off (in favor of fetch at 15 min. intervals for three mail accounts), and moderate use of the phone for calls and checking e-mail and the web. Now I easily get twice that with 3G enabled, and occasionally Bluetooth as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.