iPhone/iPod In 2010 Mini Cooper S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apok, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Apok macrumors regular

Yay me, I just bought a new to me Mini Cooper S Camden Edition. Awesome car, but I am having a slight problem with getting ipods and iphones to connect. The dealer supplied me with the Mini Y cable for hooking up older iphones, unfortunately I have an i5 and the 30 pin they supplied wont work. So I attempted to hook up my 4th gen ipod and Im pretty sure that old girl has kicked the bucket. So I tried a ipod mini I have and though the audio out on the aux jack worked, the 30 pin didnt charge the mini. I also tried to use the regular usb to 30 pin just to see if it would charge, and it did not. Plus the usb seemed to have a lot of play once it was plugged in. So Im thinking that maybe the usb interface is broken or malfunctioning. And I figured one on you guys or gals around here must have encountered something similar in a Mini and maybe had some advice or knew of a fix? I still have some factory warranty left on it, so I will def check that route out.

If I put this in the wrong forum, mods please feel free to stick it where it goes. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you think it's a problem with the Mini then you'd probably have better luck on a Mini discussion forum site.

3. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

And I sure will. I just figured I couldn't be the only one around here who may have encountered the problem.

4. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

You are probably the only person to ever buy a Mini Cooper... so... yeah...

5. loulou2212 macrumors newbie

Same!

I have exactly the same problem with my Cooper Camden and it's really bugging me!
    I don't think Mini have made a suitable Y cable for the iphone 5 yet!

I even tried the Y cable with the Lightening 30 pin extender and still nothing.
    Have you found any way around it yet?

6. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

I have a 2009 MINI Cooper S with the same cable. It is not meant to charge your iPhone or iPod, only to play music through the stereo and control it through the stereo/steering wheel. I have had this car and cable for 4 years now and have done all the research on forums and at the dealer. It's probably not the answer you wanted, I wasn't happy with it either.

7. LunarFalcon macrumors member

I have a 2012 MINI Cooper, so the cable they give may be a little different, but using the supplied Y-cable and the lightning adapter works for me. It charges and the stereo buttons control the iOS Music app. But I normally just use Spotify and control it from the phone (stereo buttons don't work on Spotify or other non-iOS music apps.)

8. Ericalynn84 macrumors newbie

Ericalynn84

--- Post Merged, Mar 18, 2017 ---
    And yeah your not the only pe
    I have a 2010 mini cooper clubman s and an iPhone 6s and I used the y cable with the lightning 30 pin adapter plugged into the usb port and the aux port plugged in at the same time and everything works for me it charges my phone while playing music and my Bluetooth works as well.

9. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

uh.. thanks to responding to this thread from 2013... I guess...