iPhone = iPod Touch + any good 3G smartphone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by agkm800, Jul 4, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I am dying to switch to AT&T to get iPhone 3GS, but there is a good chance that I might have to stay with Verizon a little longer... unfortunately.

My biggest reason for wanting the iPhone is Apple apps.

So, if I can't ditch Verizon, will buying an iPod Touch (I will wait for the new version this fall) and getting a 3G smartphone with Verizon do the trick for me?

I know I will have to carry 2 devices instead of 1, but other than that, and other than 3GS's video features and GPS and compass, will I miss anything else by doing iPod Touch+3G smartphone instead of single iPhone 3GS?

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Owning an iPod Touch has always been an inferior experience. Being able to use data anywhere on a device like this really makes a big difference. iPod Touch owners don't know what they're missing out on until they get an iPhone.

3. DEdwards2204 macrumors member

DEdwards2204

Just read through your contract with Verizon and do some research on when you signed up and when they raised a price. Their contracts allow you to opt out without fees if they raise a price. IIRC, the messaging prices have increased in the past year or so.

4. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I to am with Verizon and carry two devices I have a 32gb Ipod Touch and a BB Storm. I have the best of both worlds for now. If the Iphone ever comes to Verizon then mostly I will carry one device but it needs to be 32gb or more, since I carry music, my apps, podcast and videos. :D

Alicia

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

why carry two devices

if you can afford it get an iPhone

if you cant, stick with your current phone + iPod Touch

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's not always a matter of affording anything. But more so because AT&T's service sucks, or at least does where I am.

I bought an original iPhone on launch day and AT&T's service was so-so. They promised they'd be getting better and would be rolling out 3G service. So, when the iPhone 3G came out the next year, I upgraded, hoping I'd be able to make use of better service. I've now been patiently waiting for two years for reasonable AT&T service around town - i.e., like actually getting a signal indoors.

I love the iPhone for everything except its dependence on AT&T.

I've ordered a VZW BlackBerry Tour so I can actually make some phone calls, and the iPhone will essentially be relegated to iPod touch status.

Although, silly as it may be, I'm still holding out a little hope - I purchased the Verizon BB Tour on a one-year contract (the phone cost $70 more than the two-year contract) so on the off chance AT&T finally gets their collective ass in gear, I'd have an easier time terminating the VZW contract if necessary.

Otherwise, I don't see myself buying the iPhone 3GSX Extreme next year at this time...

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

You the only VZW user on this forum I like. You are giving att the chance and benefit of the doubt hoping that there updates to their towers do some good. +1

8. Jamz00 macrumors member

I'd say having an ipod touch will work for you. I had an ipod touch for a year or so before I got my iphone and it doesn't feel much different. It really is an iphone without a camera or phone. If you already have a smart phone with the internet you're set. Sure it might not have multi-touch and the app store but it's a fair place holder until you get an iphone.

9. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'm going to pick up a PAYG iPhone 3G in August (as things stand financially).

I refuse to enter a contract with o2 after previous experience.

My iPod touch 2G will go to my wife, who will in turn give my old iPod touch 1G, which she got when I got my 2G touch, to my Father in Law who I sold my old iMac Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz to when I got my new Alu iMac 2.4GHz.

I am converting everyone I know to use Apple products. :D

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

+1 the iPod Touch isn't really too much to brag about when you're comparing it to an iPhone. There's just so much more you can do that the iPod Touch will never do.

11. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The only feature I feel I'm missing out on due to having an iPod touch right now is the internet access anywhere.

Of course, the internet connection itself leads to more features, such as the App Store and iTunes Store on the move, as well as internet browsing with Safari.

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

No. there is nothing like owning an iPhone. There is no longer the hassle of having to carry multiple devices (phone, iPod, PDA, GPS, etc.). And, u get to look at all other people without an iPhone with disdain and laugh at them