iPhone is Crap?! and VZ release detail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhadbulldog, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jhadbulldog macrumors newbie

I was in my local verizon store a a bit ago. They told me that I was eligible for an upgrade (11 months early). I told them that I was holding out for the iPhone. The manager told me that that was pretty dumb. According to him, the iPhone is useless, and I should upgrade to another Droid. After all, as he pointed out, a Droid has a 1 GHz processor (as does the iPhone). Considering that they are more or less the same price, it shouldn't make a difference to him which phone I want. Just an interesting note.

Also, he told me that iPhones will not be available to buy in the store. Customers will go the store and order the phone (even after Feb. 10). Then, when it comes to the store, they will call the customers to come pick it up. He says this will prevent stampedes. I don't think stampedes are very likely in my small town, but that's beside the point. So, in essence, they have removed the "fun" of going to the store to buy a new product.

2. aneftp macrumors 601

OP. Was this Corp or authorized "reseller" Verizon store.

The reason thats important is the authorized verizon reseller store makes zero commission getting u to sign up for iPhone. While they stand to make comission on non iPhone sales.

If it's a Verizon Corp store, they shouldn't care. A sale is a sale.

3. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Yeah that sounds like a Authorized Reseller.

At release the Resellers won't be able to sell it. It's only available through Verizon/Apple direct chains (owned retail/web). If you want it from a reseller they'll have to get you on the phone w/ Customer Service and sell it that way via the rep on the phone, and they'd ship it to you/store.

On the flip side, which I'm just re-inforcing the points above, if they sell phones out of THEIR inventory it's commissionable.

4. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a reseller. That explains it. But still, it seems unprofessional to discourage customers from buying something in the store.

5. stu00a macrumors member

they are probably just want to bump their sales by selling the Droids. Because, they will get the iphone later, by the time all iphones are sold out on the internet and authorized retail store, they'll have to eat the breadcrumbs.

6. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It is. He's discouraging you to buy something he doesn't have in his store though. I'm sure he'd rather sell you a DROID than an iPhone. I don't doubt that the demand for them has plummeted within the last week.

7. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

he doesnt have, nor will be getting the iPhone any time soon... so if you want one, he wont be able to sell you one, even on the 10th. since he knows he has no sale, his ego forces him to insult you into buying something that pays him now and if you dont bite, it's no loss to him since there's no sale in the first place. botom line is he knows that if u want an iPhone on the 10th, he still cant get one for you and you'll have to go elsewhere.

if i were in your position, i would only go there once more... after you got the iPhone and stop in just to thank him for helping you decide to shop somewhere else.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Did you want the one with the bigger Gee Bees? ;)

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Best Buy mobile: guy walks in, asks about iPhone and gets smacked in the face by an Android fanboy. True story. Maybe this VZ seller was biased? Take what you will. Anyway, the BB guy told him that "when the dust settles" between iPhone and Android on VZ, Android will clearly win because it's open and everything's free. I believe this rep even hinted at stealing things (music, apps, tethering?, etc.) as well. It's pretty sad. Yeah, Android is good because there's low end and high-end for a consumers budget, but not one thing he discussed said anything negative about Android. Obviously biased.