iPhone is disabled?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, May 20, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I decided to swap to my old iPhone today because I miss it lol. But dang this what happened... FFFFUUUUUU

Attached Files:

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I don't get it :confused:

How did your old iPhone get disabled? And why can't you just plug it into iTunes like it says to get it working again?

3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Correct. If it's not stolen, just connect to iTunes and activate it. May need an OS update too.

4. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Thought he could get FM stations now. Not familiar with abbreviations. Different generation, and glad.

6. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

No it's my phone. Legit. I just wanted to use it today so I swapped the sim but I thought I'd be able to unlock without getting the "iTunes" message. Oh well I guess I have to plug it in when I get home.

----------

That sucks. I wanted to maintain the OS version that came with the phone. Fail.

7. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I've been forced to upgrade in the past for a phone that I had set aside. I think it was a 4S that I ended up putting iOS 8 on just prior to sale. There was no way around it - Apple removes the ability to activate prior versions after a short time.

8. zone23 macrumors 68000

I'm using my old iPhone 5s today just for fun. Its nice typing with one thumb :D

9. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

That sucks, I have to update it to 8 now. Lol @ one thumb. Thanks for rubbing it in haha.

10. Applejuiced, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great story but that's the message you get when you enter the wrong passcode too many times. The phone is disabled and needs an itunes restore.

If you insert the wrong passcode for 1 to 5 times, there will only be red notifications saying the passcode is wrong, and you need to wait to give it another try.

For the 6th time you insert a wrong passcode, it will report, “iPhone is disabled, try again in 1 minute”. And the phone will be locked, and you won’t be able to insert passcode again until 1 minute later.

For the 7th time, the iPhone will show, “iPhone is disabled, try again in 5 minutes”.

For the 8th time, the iPhone will be locked for 15 minutes, and for the 9th time, it will be locked for 60 minutes to insert passcode again.

If you insert the wrong passcode for 10th time, the iPhone will be disabled and you will have to connect it to iTunes to restore it.

11. hleewell macrumors 6502a

What if the iTunes restore ask for the old passcode?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If there's a backup password you will need it.
    If not you can restore and setup as new.
    If the phone has an icloud activation lock you will need the correct Apple ID and password or you will forever be stuck on that screen.
    Good luck.

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

It rubs the lotion on it's phone.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It seem it is impossible for you to go though a week without a problem.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

While this statement is generally correct for him (definitely no argument there from me), in his defense, this thread was revived and is over a year old.

16. hleewell macrumors 6502a

With a forced restore (hold home button and connect to iTunes), it can be done.
    You just type in a new passcode.
    But everything is wiped.

It also means if your iPhone is stolen, could it still be force-restored by the thief if you bypass iCloud or Touch ID activation? The thief cannot get to your data (force-restore) but he could activate & own your iPhone. Can he/she?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

If Activation Lock is enabled (via Find My iPhone being turned on) then the device can't be activated or used, even if it is restored as new.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing can bypass iCloud activation lock.
    You'd be stuck at the screen asking for the original owners Apple ID and password.

19. Alexrat1996 Suspended

lotion on home button