iphone is dissapointing me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dukebound85, Feb 7, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ok i have been having major issue with these iphones

iphone 1: home button was making 2 clicks and 2 audible noises per click (very very annoying as it felt very weird) and had cracks. put up with this for 6 months. rest of my iphones have all been replaced within last month

iphone 2: had silent button not move without a ton of resistance applied and many spiral cracks

iphone 3: had multiple cracks and wake button didnt work half the time

iphone 4( just got today): have the light leak. when i am in a dark room looking at the screen, i see slivers of light coming out of left side of screen. very distracting. but no cracks. and edit:middle of touch screen is unresponsive

should i just give up and accpet they are all flawed?. im just annoyed at this point

2. neilp4453 macrumors regular

Wow that sucks. I have had zero physical problems with it and one software related problem which a quick restore (rather slow restore) corrected.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

those first 3 are legit concerns
    but people who have their iPhones swapped out for "light leak" (especially those that have it swapped multiple times) are whiny perfectionists. Light leak isn't a big deal. Be glad Apple is so accommodating with their replacement policy. Most manufacturers wouldn't put up with it.

and for those who say it's a big problem, it really isn't.
    Let's say there's been 1 million iPhones sold (the number is actually higher)
    And perhaps 1000 people have reported being affected by this issue (maybe it's more, but just going based on MR people, it's actually probably less)

even with those numbers, thats still a .1% failure rate
    which is very, very good

4. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

After seeing all these complaints about the iPhone, I think I'm one of the few who received a good quality built iPhone.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The iPhone is far from perfect

App wise, I love it
    mp3 wise, I love it
    EMail wise, incredible
    Phone reception wise, it is a laughingstock.

I deal with it though and stick through the bad parts because the good ones outweight it

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thing is if you look at my post history, i was ok with the cracks on my first phone, i even superglued it to try and prevent the spread lol. how effective that would be, i have no clue. however once the home button was getting all wierd on me, i took it in and explained everything to the apple people. kinda been downhill since though.

ill just deal with it but still, its annoying

7. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Blame ATT for the reception, Apple might as well have opened up their own network. Up here in Canada, reception has never been worse.

8. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

9 times out of 10, reception is a PHONE issue, not a service provider issue.
    All my other AT&T phones (Motorola RAZR, Blackberry Curve, Pantech C150 and my Nokia N75) get great reception. My iPhone is a crap shoot.
    The antenna in the iPhone is craptacular.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

It seems like the only legitimate issue in the iPhones you've had problems with is the cracking. Being picky about button feel is a bit extreme.

11. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

So is your phones

12. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, the home button felt as if i was pressing it twice and it did audibly click twice. it was a legit issue, trust me

anyways, i am going to take this one back as the middle of the touch screen is unresponsive. i cant select anything in the middle and it will pause when i scroll. nothing like my ipod touch (which works). i noticed this as i was rearranging my app icons

i am kinda pissed at the moment

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It would be, except you made those numbers up out of thin air. Apple's normal iPod failure rates range from 3-20%, so that's the ballpark you need to hit.

For the iPhone, aftermarket warranty firms (who do not swap for little things) report a 6% failure rate. And they're low, since many more people use their Apple warranty for non-catastrophic failures like missing pixels.

On the other extreme, look at forum polls. At least 40% of members report swapping for another phone, many of those going on to do so multiple times. I agree, at least some of those are for various cosmetic reasons.

So the truth is somewhere inbetween. From exit polls and other information, I think it runs around 10% or more.

Since Apple usually cheerfully replaces the bad ones, most people don't worry that they wasted their own time to discover them, instead of Apple paying for better factory testing.

14. svndmvn Guest

OP, write Steve Jobs, I know he's on vacation recovering, but I believe his email address corresponds to a team of people etc. Explain every single defect and give your serial numbers/ dates of return/swaps.
    Have you had refurbs in exchange or New iPhones in unopened boxes?
    I'm on my 7th phone,I believe, half were definitely new, the others good as well but probably refurbs. Since the situation was quite extreme I managed to get a new one in exchange, without asking. The customer service is awesome. My last new one had bad buttons, a few bad pixels and most importantly cracks within the first week/ expanded through the first month. I got that exchanged again and this one seems good, I'm ok with the light leak which is pretty much the first main issue I had with the first phone and right now I feel sorry I wanted that one exchanged, since this one also has a bad feeling around the edges, the glass is kinda uneven, good quality over all nonetheless. Good Luck!

15. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

The only issue mine has is the "light leak" on the left hand side.

It has had it from day one, but I was always afraid to take it back after reading the horror stories on here.

My Incase Slider prevents me from even seeing the leaks anyway.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Mine has this light leak problem as well.

I've heard it's possible to get dust under the screen from the leak area. Anybody seen this yet? Seems like a reasonable reason for an exchange...

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I know it's bad that you have those problems but still you have no idea how good you have it. Here apple doesn't allow exchanges, if we have a problem with our iPhones we have to send them for repair. Even people who find a fault on their iPhones immediately after they buy them can't exchange them, they have to be sent to repair.

My iPhone has quite a few cracks and I'm going to sent it for repair and still I don't know if here they consider that problem to be covered under the warranty, so I might even have to pay for the repair.

Also to keep in mind is that this situation only happens with the iPhone, it's a policy from apple. With any other cell phone or electronic equipment we have the right to exchange them if they are faulty. For some reason apple here doesn't allow that.

18. Martin Finch macrumors member

Yeah I've heard of this happening a few times but not as a consistent problem. To the first poster, man that's a pain :s but yeah I think stick with it, 5th times a charm.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I guess i've always been lucky.

Or just not picky. ;)

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was never picky until I got my 3G. I've accepted the issue on my third that I exchanged my first one for. Pretty sure I'll never get a perfect one.

21. siorai macrumors 6502

Forums don't generally work that way. People don't tend to post about how their product is perfect. They post when they have problems. For example: my phone is fine. No defects whatsoever. Have I posted about it? No. Why would I? If I had a problem would I post about it? Definitely.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Eh, I know people who have AT&T and the reception is far from great but it generally is better than what I have gotten

I deal with dropped calls often, no reception as voice mails just pop up, etc....

Can be aggravating at times

23. samven582 macrumors 6502a

how did you manged to get a new one?