Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Hi. Just wondering if anyone can help me with my iphone that seems to be dying a painful death.

The first sign that something went wrong was when yesterday, the screen slowly faded to white and in the meantime, the phone freezes. But sporadically, it started working again. It wasn't doing it often, but as the day went on, it was increasingly happening more and more often. I tried the hard reset by pressing and holding the button under the screen and the power button simultaneously. It wouldn't resolve the issue at all.

Last night, I plugged the phone in overnight. This morning, I found myself barely being able to boot it up. When I pressed the power button, the Apple logo appears as normal, but then it fails do do anything else. It goes back to turning off. I set up a genius bar appointment, and I'm restoring to factory settings as we speak.

In the meantime, thought I'd ask in case this is a known issue I can resolve easily.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Not a common issue as far as I'm aware. It sounds like a hardware cockup and I predict you'll end up having to get a replacement at the Genius bar.

Tell us how the restore goes, though.
Don't restore from a backup, just do everything fresh for diagnostic purposes.

iHavequestions

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Not a common issue as far as I'm aware. It sounds like a hardware cockup and I predict you'll end up having to get a replacement at the Genius bar.

Tell us how the restore goes, though.
Don't restore from a backup, just do everything fresh for diagnostic purposes.

I don't have applecare. Do you think they'd replace it for free or will they charge me?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I don't have applecare. Do you think they'd replace it for free or will they charge me?

Are you within your 1 year warranty? If so, and they can't find any signs of damage that you've caused (particularly water damage), they'll likely swap you one for free right at the desk.

If you're outside your 1 year warranty, you'll get charged.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I bought it as soon as it came out which was about 14 months ago. ARG

They may replace it for free even though its 14 months. Especially if the phone is in excellent condition physically, and the problem u describe is unusual and drastic. If its beat up even a little bit they are going to charge u the 229 OWR. Make an appt and give it a shot. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.