Iphone is having issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoganW, Dec 29, 2010.

1. LoganW macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I bought an iphone off of craigslist planning to jailbreak it and unlock it, so i wouldnt need to pay for data. It is a 3g 8gb. It turns out that the phone was already updated. So I upgraded to 4.2.1 and had baseband 5.15.04. I jailbroke with redsnow. After jailbreaking my wifi would not work ( it wouldnt even find networks). I un jailbroke it. and then Used Redsnow b6, and updated the baseband to 6.15.00 ( ipad). I unlocked the phone.
    Now i have a functional phone for Calls and text. but wifi will not work?
    What should I do?
    Basically all i want is a iphone without a data plan that I can use on Wifi.
    thanks
    Logan

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe the iphone had a faulty wifi chip to begin with. I doubt the JB broke it.
    Also what carrier are you on?
    With AT&T postpaid accounts they automaticly add the appropriate data plan.

3. LoganW thread starter macrumors newbie

I am on an AT&T plan. And the guy I bought it from said that the wifi had worked before...?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Offcourse he will say everything worked perfect before and he has no idea:D Did you test it out before you bought it?
    Also you dont need to jailbreak it or unlock it to use it on AT&T. Now that you installed the ipad baseband your GPS chip might not function either.
    And again unlocking and jailbreaking will not make any difference in them detecting it on their network and automaticly adding an iphone data plan to your account. Only way to avoid it is with prepaid AT&T simcards or take it to Tmobile.

5. LoganW thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha very true. I had an old Iphone where i was not using a data plan, and was only using wifi, but my phone broke. What should I do to make it work ?>

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With the iphone 2G you can get away with no data but with the 3G, 3GS and i4 they do scans and add the data plan when detect an iphone without a data plan.
    You can try an iphone repair shop to see if they can fix the wifi issue.

7. LoganW thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh, I see. thank you. What exactly could the repair shop do?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will have to open it up and see whats up. Maybe the Wifi antenna has come loose.