iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone is just an expensive disposable item?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tiguanito, May 4, 2019.

1. tiguanito, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019

tiguanito macrumors member

A frustrating experience at the Apple store today:

6 months ago, my wife’s 6S+ had some issues and was replaced with a new 6S+ 64gb.

Yesterday, the phone suddenly stopped working. It wouldn’t turn On again, just a black screen. I brought it to Apple today, and they ran some diagnostics. Conclusion is “it cannot turn On”. They don’t know what part is failing (they didn't want to open it to run some more tests), and said they never fix it when it doesn’t turn On. And since a replaced iPhone only has a 90 days warranty, the only option is to pay another $329 (+ tax) to get a new 6S+ with again 90d warranty. Or buy a new phone, with no trade-in value or discount, etc.

Conclusion:

- Apple just throws away iPhones that don’t turn On. What a waste of resource and energy.

- Apple doesn’t give you an option to repair a device at the reasonable cost. $329 + tax for a phone that was launched >3.5 years ago is hard to swallow. Especially if it’s thrown away again after 90 days.

At home we have 3 ipads and 2 iphones (minus 1 !). We really love them but we will definitely think more before getting a new device from Apple.

2. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

It’s not worth the time to open the phone and diagnose it. Even with newer phones I think that’s how it works.

Apple is like Starbucks. It’s more expensive than a lot of other options. I picked up a pretty solid Android phone brand new a few months ago for $250. 5 times less than I paid for my xs max. If you feel apple is too expensive then you will definitely find something to your liking in the Android world. It won’t be as smooth as you’re used to, but if you don’t want to pay apples prices, it’s an option.

3. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Apple recycled devices. But you got a bum deal and I think the Apple store should have supported you.

Our iPhone 7, which had a free battery replacement died two months after AppleCare expired. Was going to be $329. Bought an xr and traded in iPhone 7.

This is the first idevice that died. I expect my devices to last 5 years but stuff happens.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

- Apple does not just throw away iPhones that don't turn on. Assuming you turn it in, it's harvested for usable parts and everything else is recycled responsibly.

- You want Apple to prorate an item based on depreciation and therefore the value you think it should be. Apple doesn't work that way. They could charge you the full cost of the device new. How about that? But you're getting a break, about $500 off what they'd charge when the phone was new. Plus you get a 90 day warranty. Lastly and again, Apple doesn't throw the phone away - they harvest it for usable parts.

- What does the fact that you have other Apple products have to do with this situation? Do you believe that because you've given Apple a little coin they are obligated to cut you the kind of slack you think you're entitled to for spending that coin on their products? And if they don't you might withhold that coin from them in the future?

That's a threat that never works. Too many people willing to buy that will take your place.

5. tim.engen macrumors newbie

That sounds like a secondary device. iPhones are flagship and Flagship devices Apple or Android are expensive

6. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Yeah. You won’t get any flagship brand new for under $500 that isn’t a year old or on a steep sale. That’s just how it is in 2019.

7. Banglazed, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019

Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

If you don’t think $350 was a reasonable price for a full replacement, you can get the same device around $100-200 on eBay.

If you want a cheaper repair, you can take it to a third party repair shop to have them diagnose it and repair it.

Apple trade in value for that device is only about $87. Or better yet, trade in the device to buy the XR or XS off at a higher trade in value like $200 off so you can hand it back to them after repair. Apple device still holds their value more than Android.

8. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

IMHO, the iPhone market is more like the automobile industry. Phones depreciate like autos, have a defined useful life, and a high upfront cost. Phones have an entry model, mid-tier model, and premium model - just like autos.

With that said....Just like autos, there is a growing used phone market for those that want an iPhone but can't afford the new price or don't want to absorb the depreciation costs.

9. tiguanito thread starter macrumors member

They told me the 6s+ had no value for them and it wouldn’t be repaired anyway.
    If it turned On, the trade in value would have been $250 to get a XR. I would have jumped on it if they offered me this option.
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2019 ---
    >> Apple does not just throw away iPhones that don't turn on
    They clearly said the phone had no value to them. The phone has been protected by a case and screen protector since day-1. So there are definitely parts that are like new and could be reused. But again, they said 0 value.

>> They could charge you the full cost of the device new. How about that? But you're getting a break, about $500 off what they'd charge when the phone was new
    Why you are comparing with the purchase price of 2015 ? There has been 3 new generations of phones since. Not to mention that for $329 I would get a refurbished phone, not a brand new one in a box, etc. For this price, I would expect to get 1 year warranty to be sure I don't have to pay another $329+tax in 91 days.

>>What does the fact that you have other Apple products have to do with this situation?
    My point is I like the Apple products, I'm not posting here to troll or anything. But because of this experience, I will think more before buying a new device from them.

10. now i see it macrumors 68040

Circuit boards made with surface mounted components haven't been reparable for the most part in 20 years. The iPhone is no exception.
    Apple keeps repair costs sky high (and prevents 3rd party repairs) because their whole business plan is hinged on selling new iPhones as frequently as possible, not fixing them.

11. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Because a genius said the phone has no value doesn't mean apple doesn't recycle equipment turned into them. There seems to be some logic to have a phone at least turn on before a trade in is involved, but I got that customers with broken phones will feel disenfranchised. As far as the replacement breaking after you paid $329 and after the warranty period, really stinks and as I said before, maybe the apple store could have cut you a break.
    What phone or personal consumer electronic device is made any differently?

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

If you used a credit card perhaps that warranty would cover it

13. tiguanito thread starter macrumors member

The circuit board can be repaired in some cases.
    Found this interesting video that could potentially fix my issue:

Even if a circuit board cannot be repaired, Apple could give an option to pay $150 or so to replace the main circuit board (like for a screen)

14. Scream And Fly macrumors newbie

Scream And Fly

Apple’s pricing on repairs is always deliberately high (if they’ll even do it) so as to push you into buying a new phone rather than repairing it. We all have Apple to of thank for being the first to normalize the sealing of the rear cover on a phone, making the iPhone much more difficult to service - and now, most Android phones as well.

15. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

That’s what 3rd party repair stores offer.
    As others have said its not Apples business model to offer cheap repairs.

Have a look at the repair cost of broken X/XS glas backs and your 6s offer will feel like a bargain:)

16. tiguanito thread starter macrumors member

I wonder ... if I get a brand new iPhone XS Max with 12 months warranty, and accidentally break the back glass 2 weeks later. I pay $599 (according to https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/pricing ) , and they give me a refurbished phone with 90 days warranty ? o_O

17. now i see it macrumors 68040

Correct. If the damage was caused by an accident and not a manufacturing defect, basically the phone is toast & you've got to buy anther one at an eye watering price.

18. tiguanito thread starter macrumors member

In a better world, you would just pay for the back glass + time to replace it :)
    I didn't really realize the cost of repair until now ... I was thinking about upgrading to a XS max or XR recently, I will avoid the XS max now I know that.

19. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

That's a good question. Not just with the original 1-year warranty, but also under AppleCare.

It's not unusual for companies to claim the right to replace a brand new item with a refurbished item within the warranty period; that's often written into the legalese.

But refurbished items often carry lesser warranty periods (the 90 days is also not uncommon), and that's a potential trap, if there's coverage remaining on the original item, or an extended warranty.

Less consumer friendly terms might consider that relief a one-and-done deal, with coverage only applying to the original item. It's all in the fine print.

Apple's policies can have gotchas, but overall, they're on the better side. It can be worse, either in written terms, or getting those terms fulfilled.

Those of a certain age will recall that Apple stuck with 90-day warranties for new Macs when competitors had longer warranties, and didn't implement 1-year warranties until it was clearly an outlier in the market.

While some governments have regulations covering implied warranties, express warranties are not regulated, except by market competition, and a free-for-all. Or even none.

That also applies to store policies. Contrary to some beliefs, unless regulated (like with price mistakes), return policies are the result of market competition, and not an inherent right.

20. Lekro macrumors regular

Lekro

If people would know what the phone has to go through during a back glass replacement it wouldn’t be a better world anymore.

21. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

No, you get 90 day warranty or the remainder of your warranty, whichever is longer.
    https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html
    A replacement part or product, including a user-installable part that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided by Apple, assumes the remaining warranty of the Apple Product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is replaced or a refund provided, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced or refunded item becomes Apple's property.