iPhone is non responsive. Neither button will turn it on.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macman756, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

This happens about 1-2 times every day. I use my iPhone, put it to sleep, (tap the top button, no hard sleep, hibernate or anything) and put it in my pocket. Sometimes, at least every day, I go to turn it on, and it is totally non responsive. I push Home, top button, nothing. Totally dead, the only two ways to get it on, is A. plug it into a wall charger, it flashes the Play/pause controls like I hit Home too many times, and takes 1-3 screen shots. Then all is well. THe other way is get a text. I find myself saying Hey, text my phone, its like dead, same things happens as a wall charger, its on, I delete the screenshots, and its fine. I have the latest OS and the Carrier update 3.1 (It locked up before AND after this update). And I've restored. Can I fix this? or do I need a replacement? if so, how do I prove it to the Genius?

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I guess the only thing you can do is to bring it in when it is non-responsive. It sounds very sick. :(

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

A lot of people have this problem. Usually when it happens to me I have to dock it to a power source for it to pop on.

If it happens a lot I'd bring it to an Apple store. They can run diagnostics and check logs as long as you didn't restore it after it happened.

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Hard reset brah. Home+sleep for 10 seconds. Ive had this problem in the last 2 weeks where you take your phone outta your pocket and its totally unresponsive. Just gotta hard reset it.

5. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

happens to me also on my ipod touch, but cant take it to store cause warranty is over :(

6. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Hard reset doesn't fix it. Trust me, I've tried. If I hit home+sleep, nothing, then a txt, and it takes a screenshot. so yeah, hard reset, nope

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Are you jailbroken or running stock? If I were you, I'd try restoring the iPhone firmware... maybe something got corrupted. I've run into only a handful of times where I'd go to turn on the iPhone by pressing the home button... then the screen doesn't come on, so I press it again and the screen will blink really fast... then I have to press it again to make it come on long enough to slide it. I've never had to plug it into power to get it to turn on though. Good luck mate!

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

By the way... to force your iPhone to reboot (hard reset) you must hold down sleep and power for at least 10 seconds. There's a slight chance you could have a faulty power button or faulty home button. Otherwise, why would it take a screenshot while you're holding the buttons down for 10 seconds?

9. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

I'm stock, 3 weeks old actually. And it started about two weeks ago, so I restored it and tried that, worked for maybe 2days, then this. And on resetting, when it works, I hold home+sleep for about 7-8 seconds and it restarts. When its dead, I just hit random things, probably the the screenshot, but today, I help home+sleep at the same time, for 20 seconds. I counted! Nothing. Apple Store run in order? Thanks

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, none of that sounds like a normal iPhone. You shouldn't have to reset it to turn it on. I'd bring it back to the Apple Store. Sorry.