Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Good evening,

So I’m not sure why but my phone sent out a mass text message to twenty ppl from
My contacts to download an app called Bowmasters. It’s obvious spam and am not sure how this has happened.

I did download a ton of random app cause I was excited for this new phone and still am but I hated that 20 random ppl, some I haven’t spoken to in years, received an sms from me advertising some app.

How can I fix this? Do I have to change my number with Verizon ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sounds like at some point you must have hit something within some app that you downloaded.

EOD_Operator

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2017
Sounds to me like you’ve downloaded something bad. If you can narrow it down to the offending app and delete it, you should be good. If you can’t, you can always reset your phone.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I think its more likely someone got ahold of your iCloud password. The apps on the app store are normally clean.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Keyword “normally”. Op did say he downloaded a ton of random apps.

Absolutely it has happened in the past and can happen in the future. But if we're talking percentages, it's far ore likely to be a compromised iCloud account than a problematic app. Or a combination, where an app some how skimmed OPs iCloud password.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Good evening,

So I’m not sure why but my phone sent out a mass text message to twenty ppl from
My contacts to download an app called Bowmasters. It’s obvious spam and am not sure how this has happened.

I did download a ton of random app cause I was excited for this new phone and still am but I hated that 20 random ppl, some I haven’t spoken to in years, received an sms from me advertising some app.

How can I fix this? Do I have to change my number with Verizon ?

Did you download Bowmasters? If so it’s just from that game. I believe that game has an option to send an sms to get free stuff in the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.