iPhone is SO cheap on ebay uk

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
When the iPhone comes out in the UK it will be £269 on an 18 month contract. But the US iPhones can be obtained on ebay for only £300+£20 postage unlocked.

my boss just got one and I was having a play today, i really want one, i think i will get one unlocked on ebay rather than on contract, well worth the extra £50 to not be tied into the 18 months.

MrT8064

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
UK
When the iPhone comes out in the UK it will be £269 on an 18 month contract. But the US iPhones can be obtained on ebay for only £300+£20 postage unlocked.

my boss just got one and I was having a play today, i really want one, i think i will get one unlocked on ebay rather than on contract, well worth the extra £50 to not be tied into the 18 months.
I got my 8gb for 208£ including postage... now that IS cheap, (plus the buyer gave me $20 for posting it late)

so the total price was the same as an 8GB iPod Touch :)

CD3660

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.

Don't forget the possibility of getting hit for import duties (VAT and a handling charge). That would add a tidy sum to your outlay, possibly another £65 or so.

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
You'll be able to buy the iPhone without a contract anyway (in so much as you don't have to sign for a contract at the same time), so I don't quite see the point of paying the extra? All you're paying for is having it already unlocked (and no guarantee that it will stay that way).

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
You'll be able to buy the iPhone without a contract anyway (in so much as you don't have to sign for a contract at the same time), so I don't quite see the point of paying the extra? All you're paying for is having it already unlocked (and no guarantee that it will stay that way).
u sure about that

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
yep thats correct, you buy the iPhone for £269 in any Apple, O2 or CPW shop and take it home and do the contract trough iTunes, nothing else is done in=store, just purchasing the phone.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
so if i wait a few weeks i can get myself a UK iPhone for £269, unlock it when i get home, and put an prepay sim in and never sign up with o2?

sananda

macrumors 68020
May 24, 2007
so if i wait a few weeks i can get myself a UK iPhone for £269, unlock it when i get home, and put an prepay sim in and never sign up with o2?
yes, assuming it has 1.1.1 on it. they might have a new version and then it will depend if the hackers can unlock that.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
yes, assuming it has 1.1.1 on it. they might have a new version and then it will depend if the hackers can unlock that.
From UK training sessions we already know it will have at least 1.1.2 on it. So, currently, there is no known working unlock.

libraritine

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Victoria
You do you mean it can become locked again?

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
could I buy an iPhone locked to o2 and put an o2 sim in it and not sign up fro contract

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
No, this cannot be done, otherwise we would all do that and go with a much better tariff.
If o2 are doing this, surely they could block people from unlocking the iPhone and using an o2 SIM in it?

So basically, if you buy and iPhone and unlock it, you have to use another provider?

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
I'm more than happy to queue up on the 9th Nov - plus I intend to use an o2 iPhone contract to make things easier - not having to update/jailbreak/etc... all the time with each software update.

However, if I can get a cheap one off eBay before the release... I may do this.

If I get a US iPhone, when I go through the activation process (after Nov 9th of course) will it still work the same, or will it know the difference between UK and US iPhones?

Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.