Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
It's supposed to have AMOLED/OLED? screens? Why the heck is Apple going with those? Burn-in on these screens is bad...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's supposed to have AMOLED/OLED? screens? Why the heck is Apple going with those? Burn-in on these screens is bad...

Image retention (Burn-In) moves pixels with the information displayed By rotating the pixels from being static. The only pixels not rotated are the ones that are turned off to display a true black.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The Note 7 had some pretty serious burn in/burn up issues...

I think Apple can solve any burn in issues using pixel movement or some other technique. We'll see soon enough.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015

I agree that burn-in, if it occurs, is bad. There is not a widespread issue with burn-in though. There may be occasional bad batches, one-off users doing something stupid, etc. but there's not cause for concern like years ago when plasmas were first rolling out on tvs. I used to fill an SD card with color image slides and play it for 100+ hours to ensure I didn't get burn-in, and I didn't. Image/Pixel shifting has really helped with this.

Last edited:

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
I remember the iPad mini 2. The image retention was really widespread on that device. And then there was the MacBook Pros that also suffered from it.

I know this is LED vs OLED, but if history has anything to say Apple might not care too much about it.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
This is from the manual for Sony's $30,000 X300 OLED monitor:

'On Burn-in

Due to the characteristics of the material used in the OLED panel, permanent burn-in or reduction in brightness may occur. These problems are not a malfunction.

Images that may cause burn-in
- Still images in the HDR display
- Masked images with aspect ratios other than 17:9
- Color bars or images that remain static for a long time
- Character or message displays that indicate settings or the operating state
- On-screen displays such as center markers or area markers
- Images with a frame (including Multi-View displays)'

It is well-known that OLED displays have per-(sub)pixel aging characteristics. OLED TVs often have technology to mitigate against this. In order of importance:

1) A compensation cycle that operates in standby. I'm not sure if that's practical on phones, but all consumer OLED TVs offer this.

2) Automatic dimming of bright static parts of an image.

3) Pixel-shifting. This is not a very effective approach and usually operates in tandem with overscan.

RGB OLED can suffer from a colour shift over time due to the relatively short lifespan of the blue emitter material. RGBW WOLED (as used in LGD panel TVs) is more resistant to this.

It will be very interesting to find out what the situation is in regards to Apple's OLED phones. As this technology develops manufacturers may be able to better deal with the aging issues. Maybe Apple have come up with something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.