iPhone isn't appearing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I plugged my iPhone first into my keyboard, nothing. The battery didn't even charge.

Next I plugged it into my iMac, the battery charging icon appeared but nothing else. The iPhone doesn't show up under devices in finder, iTunes (9.2), or iPhoto (8.1). If I go into About This Mac -> More Info -> USB, the iPhone is listed as plugged in. Other than that, I can find no mention that I've plugged it in.

Any suggestions?

Oh, wait, one more thing. When I launched iPhoto, it said an update to 8.1.2 was available. It then launched Software Update, which told me all my software was up to date. I'm confused, is 9.1.2 available or is it not? And is it related to iPhotos ability to see my iPhone?

iPhone is currently running 3.1.3, I was hoping to update to iOS 4.0 right now but obviously can't since iTunes won't even see my iPhone.

Edit: On Saturday I replaced the 320 GB hard drive in my iMac with a 1 TB. Prior to the swap I had used Carbon Copy Cloner to ensure the 1 TB would have the exact same files as the 320 GB. Despite this, a few 3rd party extensions in the system library have been complaining about needing to be reinstalled or something... mostly stuff from Ambrosia I think. I don't know if maybe that could be related.

Edit 2: I just tried to connect the iPhone to another computer which had it show up in iTunes, Finder, and iPhoto. Its running the same version of iTunes and Mac OS X, although it has iPhoto 8.1.2 rather than 8.1.

2. Acronym macrumors 68000

easiest solution..... any photos saved off the internet or email on your phone delete them, i did and my phone started showing up on my PC again.

3. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I restarted my computer to see if that would help.

I looked through the list of things it was complaining about more carefully this time and I noticed one was called IO(I forget which).ktext

Is it plausible that this is causing the issue?

Would the only way of fixing that be reinstalling Snow Leopard?

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Okay, I reinstalled Snow Leopard, I no longer have issues with the various system files, and my iPhone now syncs.

It seems the issue wasn't really anything to do with the iPhone but with my system files being corrupt after changing hard drives. Or maybe it's just a coincidence that it now works.

5. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Upon updating to 10.6.4, my iPhone will no longer appear, again.

Maybe 10.6.4 just has a bug in it or something that only affects my iMac?