Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taniawong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
hello there. i had an iphone 2G and i loved it. but i lost it when i was traveling. so i decided i would get a used iphone 2G off Craigslist (i know, bad idea).
it came unlocked + jailbreak. everything works fine, i can use my tmobile sim card with it. so here are the problems.
1) it keeps turning off itselfs constantly. and it takes quite a bit for rebooting the phone. and it will happen again eventually, just the matter of time.

2) the other problem is the phone wouldnt charge all the way. when i plug the iphone into my laptop / wall charger, the charging sign would appear (the battery picture) but it wouldnt go up. let say it is red when i start charging it, it would stay red after a couple hours. BUT if i reboot my phone, it would appear to be fullly charged, or still low. the battery level is different everytime when i reboot my phone.
so i restored my phone with itune, and reunlock and rejailbreak it with RedSn0w 0.7.1 and hoped the problems would be slove. but it didnt happen. its still the same.
did it happen to anyone? does anyone know how can i fix this problem. i would be really appricated if anyone can give me any advice. i am really stress out about it. though i have a phone i can use. but i need a lot of the apps iphone has which the other phone wont support.
thanks for reading it.

drjuice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
You can try restoring it first and seeing if the problem is resolved before rejailbreaking and unlocking if you haven't done that yet. If it's restored to factory settings and functions normally, then it's something about the jailbreak or unlock.

Check the dock connector port on the bottom of the phone. It may just be that dust and debris are interfering with the pins when you connect it. If you notice some green on the metal that doesn't blow out with compressed air then that's corrosion from exposure to some sort of liquid. You can try brushing that off but it may not help. Look inside the headphone jack, if you see a red or half red/half white circle at the bottom, it's definitely been exposed to liquid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.