iPhone issues AFTER update: unable to move mail to trash!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by amitdoc2b, Dec 6, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I just updated my iPhone software to the latest version. Prior to this, I had the next most current iPhone software. Ever since updating it yesterday, my iPhone 3G has been unable to delete mail from my AOL and Yahoo e-mails i've had configured on my iPhone for the past 5 months.

I get an error message when trying to swipe & delete messages, or even via edit/select/delete. The error message reads: "Unable to move message. The message could not be moved to the mailbox trash."

How can I fix this? And has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

2. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I haven't experienced this, but there are two options you can try.

1. Delete your email accounts from your phone and then re-add them.

2. Restore your phone.

Try one or both of those solutions and see if that fixes it. Hope that helps...

3. saadiq7 macrumors newbie

i had this problem with my AOL mail account. here is what i did

1. opened settings
    2. clicked on mail, contacts, calenders
    3. clicked on AOL
    4. clicked on advanced
    5. clicked on Deleted Mailbox
    6. click the "trash" button under "on my iphone" even though its already checked.

after doing that i was able to delete my AOL mail again. hope this works!

4. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

It worked!

Thank you!!

5. jfeiner macrumors newbie

That worked

This worked for me as well. It seems under "Deleted Mailbox" to the right it says which it is. Since AOL doesn't have a Trash folder like Gmail, you need to have "Trash on iPhone" in that box next to "Deleted Mailbox". The above steps restores that.

6. Joelburgos macrumors newbie

Airplane

Set ur iPhone on airplane then deleted the mail you want then it's gonna create a trash folder. Delete everything from trash. That's it you good to go

7. Sloane26 macrumors newbie

Thanks

This worked for me as well! Appreciate it!:D

8. osmith78 macrumors newbie

9. the1gord macrumors newbie

It worked!

Thank you Saadiq7 worked for me to. This was bugging me for a very long time! Thanks!

10. Porchland macrumors 65816

Porchland

This was the only thing that worked for me. Thanks.

11. dbursik macrumors newbie

Problem still possible, fix worked

The problem moving messages to the trash can still occur, and the fix (clicking on Trash) worked for me.

Unfortunately, I have had this problem with other folders as well; not sure what to do but next time it happens I'll try clicking on the folder under the Advanced preferences. (Note: I'm using IMAP accounts - no POP.)

12. randyharris macrumors regular

Thanks mate, worked here too. I selected the "Trash" folder that was in my IMAP folder structure and I can delete messages again.

13. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

14. mg0536 macrumors newbie

15. Way2Cool macrumors newbie

Business Exchange - Forced Pwd Change

Here's a good one for you guys..

My business Exchange forced a pwd change, and when adding the new pwd to the iDevice ALL previously sync'd stuff in the inbox was somehow associated to the old password, it would not delete (or move to trash) no matter what tricks I used.

The only cure was to reset the iDevice pwd back the the old one, ignore warnings and errors, go back the mailboxes and perform the delete stuff, again ignoring errors and messages.

Finally those pesky items are gone!

Now back to settings once more to restore the new password. Moral of MY story, clean up mailboxes on the iDevice before adopting new forced password.

16. rbdancer macrumors newbie

It turns out POP and IMAP are choices!

Go figure. I was trying to find the "Advanced" button as suggested above, and finally realized that the accounts on my wife's iPhone 3GS were set up as IMAP, so no such button. However, all is not lost. If you delete the IMAP account, you can re-setup that same account as POP. During the setup process you get that choice at the top of the screen, something I had not noticed. Then you have much more control over the behavior of your mailboxes, and life is good. :)

17. blorenz macrumors newbie

18. Albianir macrumors newbie