iPhone issues with calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Ben1234, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Ben1234, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

Ben1234 macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry if im doing this wrong i am new to forums and english isnt my first language so i apologize in advance.

i have an iphone 3G, and it has been having several issues with calls. In areas where my phone reception has been displayed as good by the bars, there have been issues where people have called my phone and it will not ring at all. the silent switch has not been switched, and i have been holding the phone in my hand or listening to music at the time, so it did not ring i believe. but then i recieve the text saying i have a missed call from whoever. according to the callers, it just goes straight to voicemail.

another issue is that I've been in areas and my phone has had no reception. This would not be wierd, except that i have friends who are using the same mobile network who have no issues with the reception there, and in the past i have had no issues with reception there, but currently i have been.

A further issue is that sometimes i will call someone and it will work fine, but after around 20 seconds or so, the phone will suddenly stop talking and i cant hear anything. according to the person on the other end, they can hear me just fine and they still talk but i cant hear a thing.

the last one is that sometimes i try to call someone and the phone displays "calling mobile" but it doesnt actually get to the part where it calls them. i cannot hear any ringing. sometimes this stage lasts for only 10 seconds or so then it goes and calls and works. but other times i can wait for a minute or two and it still doesnt work (i normally give up by then).

Thank you very much for any help and i apologize again for my english

Edit: by the way i have not jailbroken my phone

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Who is your carrier? It sounds like a carrier issue. Also, bars are deceptive and don't really tell you whether your coverage is good or not.

Could possibly be a defective phone.

This happens with overloaded cell towers or bad handshakes (communication between phone and tower) as I understand.

I wanted to say that you write better than a lot of native English speakers/writers. Great job! You sounded like a native writer to me.

3. Ben1234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know how to properly quote parts of your response so sorry.

"Who is your carrier? It sounds like a carrier issue. Also, bars are deceptive and don't really tell you whether your coverage is good or not."

Not sure what carrier is but i think mine is optus (does that make sense?). although it is confusing to me because friends on optus do not suffer the same issues.

"This happens with overloaded cell towers or bad handshakes (communication between phone and tower) as I understand."

if these are both right, then does that mean you suggest i change carrier? but the other thing you said is that the phone is defective, so i assume that the problems are not all linked if 2 are related to carrier and one to phone itself.

"I wanted to say that you write better than a lot of native English speakers/writers. Great job! You sounded like a native writer to me."

thank you very much for this compliment, it is very nice to hear :) and thank you very much for your quick response.