Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
I have loved my iPhone. Now it's more of a hate. Ever since I upgraded to 32 gig GS, it has been acting up. Nothing I can replicate at ATT store, because it happens randomly. People say they call me, it rings once and then there is silence. I drop a call, try to call back and get fast busy. I reboot the phone and then it works for 4-5 hours. Lately I have missed very important calls.

The phone was not dropped or anything. I didn't jailbreak it. It just started acting up 2 weeks ago. ATT blames Apple, and Apple blames ATT. Since I can't replicate the issues at the store, I can't get it exchanged.

Anyone else have anything similar happen?

iWright

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
ATT sounds like the problem and from what I've heard, they're the major weakness with the iPhone in the US

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, that sounds like a cell tower issue or server issue (not sure the right word). It's not your phone or Apple.

Yeah but why when I reboot it, it starts to work again. Is it re-registering itself with the tower and that may do it?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Yeah but why when I reboot it, it starts to work again. Is it re-registering itself with the tower and that may do it?

Does it only do this around your house? You said you reboot and it only works for 4-5 hours. So, when you go to the store, it shouldn't be working, correct? Or does it start working when you get to the store (and maybe are on a different tower)?

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK

If it's re-registering with the cell tower that fixes it, rather than go through the whole dilemma of rebooting your iPhone, just toggle Aeroplane Mode on then off again.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
If it's re-registering with the cell tower that fixes it, rather than go through the whole dilemma of rebooting your iPhone, just toggle Aeroplane Mode on then off again.

I tried that, and it just says SEARCHING. Rebooting it works. For example, on my train ride today I know of two holes where the service doesnt work. However, it has been in SEARCHING mode almost the entire way. I found out people were trying to call me and this is why I know it needed a reboot. Problem is, right now the phone is fine. Can't replicate it all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.