iPhone/iTunes Backup Problem after Update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pedrojoca, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Pedrojoca macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first post in the forum and I hope you can help me.

I wanted to install an application on my iphone, but it was for version 3.1.3 and above. So I opened iTunes, plugged in the iPhone, and got ready to update. It prompted me to create a backup and i selected 'Yes'. After the update was over I checked the iPhone and i sadly ( :eek: ) noticed that my messages, contacts, pictures,.... were gone. I had no idea if after an update it was normal to lose data but soon I calmed down because I knew i made a backup.
    I opened iTunes, went to 'Restore Backup' or something... and a pop-up window showed up where I could select the backup that I wanted to use.
    In the list were only some backups that I had done with my brother's iPhone, NOT the one I made earlier. I was shocked.... all my contacts were gone (that's principally what I care about) along with my pictures and everything.
    After a lot of googling i found out what happens to backups and where they are stored. I opened the folder and the backup WAS there. Later i discovered that I could also see it in Edit>Preferences>Devices.
    But when i try to restore from a backup, it doesn't show up on the list. What should I do?

:apple: iPhone 3G ; OS: Vista ( :mad: )

Questions:

1)After an update is it normal to lose data?
    2)Is there any other software that can do the job. (I also have a Mac, if it is ultimately needed)
    3)What should I do?

2. Pedrojoca thread starter macrumors newbie

wow.... i thought i would get an answer by now :S