Iphone/Itunes file nightmare (Other space ~ Music space!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Derek87, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Derek87 macrumors 6502

ok, i'm going to try to keep this short, but i'm terribly frustrated right now. in the efforts to track down and rid myself of the nasty 4.3 battery drain bug, i decided to do a "restore to factory" of my iphone and then rebuild from backup.

when i did so, my phone ran out of space when it previously had 4-5 gb free space (32gb model). i've combed this site and the web to find solutions. most suggest that its some "orphaned files" that got lost in a partial sync. but my problem seems different that one others have noted previously.

anyway, i thought i could solve it by removing the music and rebuilding the playlist again (having also wiped out the music directory structure using a tool like DiskAid), but that's just as bad:

- as i add album by album new music, i see the space usage go up on the "other" category as much as it does for "audio/music." what the?

i haven't seen any comment about this in particular, let alone a solution! anyone else encountered this? any fix?

is this a problem with 4.3? 10.2.1 itunes? (i'm starting to have issues with my ipod touch too which was syncing last night to get a couple of apps and it ran out of space too -- it too is running 4.3

help!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I found plenty pf hits on "other space", this is just the first link.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11808680&postcount=8

Here are some more.....Other Space

3. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. I read all (?) of those previous threads, but as I noted, my problem presents a new wrinkle. Even w cleaning out the music directory, I get the problem coming back when I reads back my music.

More troubleshooting shows that only certain songs/albums create exta Other usage. :(

Anyone seen this particular problem? Solution?