iPhone-iTunes Folders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arnold Rimmer, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Arnold Rimmer macrumors member

Hi All,

Is there anyway to get iTunes to permanently store/remember the folders you have created for your apps?

I have just had a nightmare after updating my iPhone to 4.0.1. The phone wouldn't not update (for one reason or another) and therefore was stuck in recovery mode (which i was unable to get back out of)

I therefore performed the update (restore) and once it had completed, i went back in to my apps etc and noticed that iTunes has arbitrarily decided that i no longer require my apps to be stored in folders and had scattered 287 apps over god knows how many pages in the most random of random orders.

Is there any way to restore a phone, then have it place your folders back (as they were) to ensure this doesn't happen again?

I have re-done my folders, but would like to use that as my default setup when connecting my phone after a restore or even a replacement.

I'm using an little windows based atom HTPC so you can imagine the pain when moving that amount of apps around...

Any help appreciated.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

So did you switch machines at one point or something? iTunes automatically backups your iPhone. Folders, Settings, Messages, App settings, etc. When I got my 32GB, I just restored from a backup. Everything was there and working great.

3. Arnold Rimmer thread starter macrumors member

No, i didnt switch machines what so ever?

Just had my phone stuck in recovery mode, had to restore it and then it did a fresh install and wiped everything from the phone, not a back up/restore just a plain fresh install.

Then when i went back into the apps section all my hard work was gone? i thought itunes would remember my app configuration (folders) considering i did it in itunes and not on the phone?

Perhaps a back up is what i should do then, but sometimes a fresh install is a nice option for that fresh feeling, and if i could just pop my folders back on id not be bothered about the settings etc...