iPhone & iTunes Music Playback... Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jctevere, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jctevere macrumors 6502

Hello all. Ever since the latest 3.1 update and iTunes 9, I have discovered that when I am playing songs in my library and switch to another song, iTunes remembers where I left off on nearly every song I have ever played... So when I get bored and change the song halfway, and then in a day or two later when I come back, it will continue to play from that point I left off a couple of days ago. This issue is very annoying and it seems that this information gets synced over to my iPhone as well! I hate it so much, why would apple include a feature like this, its so retarded, I want the song to start from the beginning, not where I left off listening a freaking week ago... I have asked the genius bar and all I get is, I dunno what you mean, or thats a feature, you can't remove it, blah blah, uninstall and reinstall. Does anyone know how can I remove this feature, I can't seem to find it and I hate it soooo much. I never noticied it with iTunes 8 or iPhone 3.0, was it still there?

On a side note, as of almost exactly a month ago my iPhone 3GS has been acting VERY strangely... I used to have fantastic service, fast, reliable, etc. FYI I live in suffolk county on long island in new york. But anyway, almost to the day when At&t announced that they switched over the frequency for much of Long Island and NYC to provide improved signal indoors and yada yada my iPhone service has never been worse... So much so that its pretty much useless... My phone will go from having full service and 3G to no service or 1 bar and no internet without me moving or doing anything in an area I used to get impeccable service. Even when it shows I have full service and 3G, if I try to go on the internet sometimes the progress circle spins forever and I get a server cannot be reached, or a page will start to load but then stop. If I try to speak on the phone with someone for 5 minutes, it will take me 3-4 times of me trying to initialize the call, for me only to wait 15 seconds of silence for a call failure to come up with full service, driving in my car or sitting outside... And in the rare case it does go through, a couple of seconds to minutes later the call will just drop and say call failure again... Very frustrating. Texting used to be the only thing that worked when it showed I had service, but after upgrading to 3.1 last week, when I try to send a text, instead of how it usually goes 3/4 of the way, waits 5 seconds then sends, or when you don't have service, go 3/4 of the way, wait then 1 minute later have the red ! for failure. Now all that happens is that every so often when I try to send a text, it will go 1/2way very fast, then just stop and display the red exclamation point and not send until I try 2-3 more times with the same results before success. My phone is almost useless. I have called At&t and they said that I am in an area with perfect service, go to Apple its a hardware issue. Then apple says its an At&t issue. I am getting the run around here and I was just wondering who to chew out (probably going to end up yelling at both and demand a new iphone and the usual $20 at&t credit). But just out of curiosity, has anyone else been experiencing these issues, or is it just me? Also, if you have, when did it begin, around the same time when they started switching over the frequency?

Sorry for the long rant, this is probably the longest post I have ever written. If you have read this far you are a saint and a god! Thanks for all the help guys ~ I apologize if this is the wrong area, but I felt it would be less spamful to clump all my questions together than in 4 different forum sections.

2. jctevere thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Uh... that second paragraph is huge! I'm not even going to try to read that. Maybe you can go back and edit it into smaller chunks so it's easier to follow?

Regarding the issue you asked about in your first paragraph, sounds like your songs got set to remember their playback position -- don't know why it would happen without you having done something, but it's easy enough to fix. Select all your song tracks, Get Info -> Options -> check "Remember position" and set it to "No" -> click "OK."

4. jctevere thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, thanks for the advice, and the fix worked. Here is my edited second question broken down so its easier to read:

As of almost exactly a month ago my iPhone 3GS has been acting VERY strangely... I used to have fantastic service, fast, reliable, etc. FYI I live in suffolk county on long island in new york. But anyway, almost to the day when At&t announced that they switched over the frequency for much of Long Island and NYC to provide improved signal indoors and yada yada my iPhone service has never been worse... So much so that its pretty much useless... My phone will go from having full service and 3G to no service or 1 bar and no internet without me moving or doing anything in an area I used to get impeccable service.

Even when it shows I have full service and 3G, if I try to go on the internet sometimes the progress circle spins forever and I get a server cannot be reached, or a page will start to load but then stop. If I try to speak on the phone with someone for 5 minutes, it will take me 3-4 times of me trying to initialize the call, for me only to wait 15 seconds of silence for a call failure to come up with full service, driving in my car or sitting outside... And in the rare case it does go through, a couple of seconds to minutes later the call will just drop and say call failure again... Very frustrating. Texting used to be the only thing that worked when it showed I had service, but after upgrading to 3.1 last week, when I try to send a text, instead of how it usually goes 3/4 of the way, waits 5 seconds then sends, or when you don't have service, go 3/4 of the way, wait, then 1 minute later have the red ! for failure. Now all that happens is that every so often when I try to send a text, it will go 1/2way very fast, then just stop and display the red exclamation point and not send until I try 2-3 more times with the same results before success. My phone is almost useless.

I have called At&t and they said that I am in an area with perfect service, go to Apple its a hardware issue. Then apple says its an At&t issue. I am getting the run around here and I was just wondering who to chew out (probably going to end up yelling at both and demand a new iphone and the usual $20 at&t credit). But just out of curiosity, has anyone else been experiencing these issues, or is it just me? Also, if you have, when did it begin, around the same time when they started switching over the frequency? Or know of any fixes?