iPhone Itunes Restore and Passcode

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by osxabsd, Jan 27, 2012.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

My son changed the passcode on us, and we do not know what it is. We did not have an iTunes backup prior to the passcode change, but we were able to backup the iPhone using iTunes after the passcode change. (the iphone was unlocked and we connected it to a mac.) The iphone is still mounted on the computer and recognized by iTunes. Now the iPhone is disabled by too many passcode attempts (it says "iPhone disabled connect to iTunes). I read some documentation that says "When restoring from an iOS 4 (or later) backup, if the device had a passcode set, iTunes will ask if you want to set a passcode (and remind you that you had protected your device with a passcode)."

So does this mean that if i right click on the iPhone device in iTunes and select "restore from backup" will it overwrite the iPhone iOS image restore/sync the apps and their data, but give us an option of not using a passcode, thereby not including the bad password stored in the backup?

2. osxabsd thread starter macrumors member

As far as I understand, and based on Apple support, since the password is in the iTunes backup it can not be used to restore or sync with the iphone. So, I took the iTunes backup, extracted the files, and used tools like SQLite to hack the .db files.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Were you successful in your attempt after restoring?

4. osxabsd thread starter macrumors member

No. I did dump the backup and crack it using SQLite to retrieve some of the data. (sorry about the late response - i did not see it.)