iphone - iTunes update on another PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by groundeddreams, Sep 8, 2010.

1. groundeddreams macrumors newbie

My laptop with all my apps, music, podcasts etc is being repaired atm and I will having a new hard drive installed, so all my data is unfortunately been lost [broken hard drive].

So with the new OS out, if I attach my iphone 4, to a friends PC with itunes, will I be able to install the new upgrade? I presume I can, but my main concern is will I lose any of my music, app etc from the phone, once its attached to the friends itunes? Would it try and sync with his data and clean out my iphone data and try to download his?

Because once I have new laptop back, I hope to push all the data from the phone back onto my hard disk [all the lost music etc that was lost when hard disk died on me] - which I presume again I can do?

Any help would be grateful.

2. bstpierre macrumors 6502

You can upgrade your iPhone OS on your friends machine if it is set to NOT auto-sync.

I think you may need to do some tricks in order to get your music off the iPhone on to your new hard disk but I am not sure of that.

3. groundeddreams thread starter macrumors newbie

I've now got my PC sorted. So before I plug in my iphone, its there anything I should do within iTunes 10, so I dont lose all my data from it [see above for reasons]. I've already ticked the box, so it doesn't automatically sync once phone is plugged in.