iPhone/iTunes & Windows 7

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Deadman64, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Just a quick question if someone could help me out, it would be much appreciated it.

So I was planning on upgrading to win 7 this weekend, but wanted to be sure my iTunes stays exactly the same as it is currently (organized, album art, etc.).

I have a backup of the "iTunes" folder, which includes, album artwork, itunes music, mobile applications, previous itunes libraries, and various wierd itunes files.

If i simply paste that backup into windows 7 (once I wipe my HDD, install, etc), will iTunes be set to go back to that way I had it before? Will I lose purchased songs? Anything get messed up with syncing to the iPhone?

Thanks, and I appreciate the help ahead of time!

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

When you copy and past those iTunes files then yes iTunes will look the same way it always has.

I recently did this when I got a new hard drive (I use Windows XP).

I backed up all those iTunes files to an external hard drive (even those weird fiels) and when I got my new hard drive I put all of the files onto it and now my iTunes is exactly the same.

3. C0SM0 macrumors member

I just installed Windows 7 yesterday (clean install), installed iTunes 9.0.1, and copied my music and files from my backup disk...all without any major problems. All of my music is ok, though I needed to authorize the computer in order to play purchased music. My apps are all still there too. However, I recommend replacing the iTunes library file that gets created during install with your old file. If you don't, all of your apps and their files/settings will be deleted and replaced during the first sync.

The only problem that I've had is with album art. A lot of my album art has been deleted. I'm in the process of replacing it now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with iTunes/Windows 7...I'm thinking that it may be my files that are the problem. They seem to get messed up whenever I need to add them back to my library. It also happened when I first installed iTunes 9.0.1.

All in all, you should be fine. Good luck with your install :)

4. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks. Sort of a noob question but how do I know what the new file is it creates? Just check the date modified on the file? And how will iTunes know to load mine?

5. C0SM0 macrumors member

That's the simple part. Just go into your "my music\itunes" folder and cut and move the library files, etc. found there to another location (for safe-keeping), then paste your original files into the "my music\itunes" location.

It is best to do this when iTunes is closed. Once this is done, your library should look like it did before.

I hope this helps :)

6. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome, thanks a lot.

OFFTOPIC: How ya liking 7? (odd to be asking on this site lol but...)

7. C0SM0 macrumors member

So far, I'm liking Windows 7 quite a bit. It really isn't as different from Vista as I was expecting, but its more like a bigger, better Vista. For now it is running fast and smooth. No problems at all. I'm still loading up all of my software, so I'll see how it goes once everything is installed. Also the OS install was quick and painless.

I for one am glad to be rid of Vista. It came preinstalled on my pc, but has been nothing but trouble from the beginning. There were times that I'd get blue screens and instant reboots before Vista ever even loaded. Sometimes my pc would reboot like 6-8 times before it would boot successfully...and Startup Repair never found any problems lol.

As long as Windows 7 will continue to boot properly, I'll be happy.

8. Schwaby macrumors newbie

Problems with Windows 7 and Iphone

I had to reformat my hard drive and went ahead and loaded windows7 when l try to synch the iphone my mouse is very slow to respond and none of my iphone apps and songs are transfered to the hard drive. I did not back up my itunes files. I did the songs on an external hard drive but not itunes. How can I get the itunes to transfer my music files and apps?
    Thanks,
    Schwaby

9. C0SM0 macrumors member

As long as you have your music and app files backed up, you should still be fine. In case you don't know, your apps are stored in a folder called "Mobile Applications". Anyway, without your iTunes library files, you will lose things like playlists, play counts, preferences, etc., but you will still be able to sync. However, when you sync the first time, all of the apps and app data on your iPhone will be deleted. Then iTunes will sync all of the apps back to your iPhone. It will be as if you had just installed the apps for the first time. At least that is the impression that I got from the iTunes warning message that popped up when I tried to sync for the first time after installing Windows 7 (this was before I thought to use my old library file).

As far as your slowdown problem, I'm not sure. All I can suggest is make sure you have all of your system drivers properly installed and updated. It also may be worth it to uninstall iTunes and try installing it again.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

10. BNZ1 macrumors regular

Unlike previous versions of windows the user migration tool works really well. You will need to download the Windows Easy Transfer tool from MS, it will dump everything out to a folder. Reinstall Itunes and restore this data on your W7 pc :eek:

11. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

Win7 off topic

is it possible to do a clean install with Win 7 if you buy the 'upgrade' version? or do you have to buy the full price one?

i think i remember reading somewhere (maximum pc?) that in order to install win7 you have to already have a 'qualified' OS on the hard disk? :confused:

id like to upgrade to win7 and do a clean install.

12. C0SM0 macrumors member

Yes you can use the upgrade version to do a clean install. That's what I used. According to my box, any version of Windows XP or Windows Vista is qualified to use the upgrade.