iPhone Jailbreaking Downfalls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RobbieL, Nov 9, 2007.

1. RobbieL macrumors member

As I imagine with alot of people, I'm looking to pick up an iPhone in the near future (in the UK) but am in no need for the monthly tarrif. My plan was to jailbreak it when the clever fella's have broken update 1.1.2.

That's pretty much all the thought I've put into it. But got to thinking a little more today, and what exactly are the downfalls to jailbreaking an iPhone? I understand you can't use visual voicemail anymore, but that doesn't bother me to much. Any other features stripped or unusable?

2. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

All you're doing is faking activation and a SIM unlock.. it's possible other things like 3rd party apps could cause issues but you don't *have* to install them if you don't want to.. you can leave the phone pretty in its virgin state (OTOH most people don't do that).

3. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

and of course, you need to make sure you're aware of whenever there is a new firmware update (like there is today) and make sure that you don't automatically upgrade to it before seeing if that's worked for other people or not
    shouldn't be a problem - today's update isn't very major so you'll probably be happy to miss the update, but it's the 1.2 or 1.3 upgrades that might contain very useful new features. also - if they release 2.0, you'll very likely want to upgrade to that - but in both instances, you'll have to wait and search the forums to make sure that it won't brick your phone. and also, those types of updates are more likely to take much longer to be jailbroken.
    so the largest jailbreak i can see is that you'll have to remember to spend time trawling the forums each time there's an update, and you might have to wait several weeks after each update before it's safe for you to experience all the new features everyone is talking about