iPhone Jailbroken Applecare Plan How To?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ucfgnome, Dec 28, 2010.

1. ucfgnome macrumors newbie

Hi - I know jailbreaking voids the warranty on the iPhone and I know restoring it will set it back to factory.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS that I received after trading a N900.

There is a one month Applecare warranty left on this Phone.

My question is if I purchase a Applecare box though the Apple site or eBay, will I be able to register and extend the warranty of this phone?

If so, how does this work, I've never done it before, will the Phone need to be on the AT&T network in order for this to complete? I have it on T-Mobile right now.

I wasn't sure if I need to connect the Phone and do something, never purchased Applecare before.

Plus when registering for it, can I just place my contact details on the registration.

Thanks!

2. ucfgnome, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I tried to do it via Apples site and got this message:

We're sorry, but service is not available in this location.

I am guessing the iPhone was bought in a different country? Any way to get around this to buy extended coverage?

Also, if I take my iPhone with its current Apple Care date of Jan 31, 2011, will it be serviceable?

Thanks!

3. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok this is the strangest thing, if I put in my Orlando addresses under billing it says"

We're sorry, but service is not available in this location.

But if I put a random New York address, it lets me continue to the credit card page.

4. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying todo, but Iam 99% sure that you cannot buy a SECOND AppleCare plan to extend the warranty for another two years.

5. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - on the applecare site it says I have coverage till Jan 31, 2011. It allows me to click 'extend coverage' and go through checkout for a applecare plan.

This is the question I had:

1. If i buy a apple care through eBay, how does that work, how do I add it to the Phone? What is the activation process?

2. If i buy it through the apple site right now as I went through checkout, it takes me to where I input my billing address, if I leave what my user id has in place, the Orlando address, it says "We're sorry, but service is not available in this location."

But if I put a random NY address it lets me continue to the checkout page.

So I am not sure why that is happening.

Note: I swapped phones with a user, just want to extend coverage of the warranty.

Thanks

6. SnowDX, Dec 28, 2010

SnowDX macrumors 6502

You're saying the phone has AppleCare until Jan 2011. AppleCare is the extended warranty, you can't extend it further.

Or are you saying that the regular one year warranty expires Jan 2011?

Apple can restrict the warranty to the country where the phone was purchased so be cautious if your phone was purchased in another country.

7. SnowDX, Dec 28, 2010

SnowDX macrumors 6502

Instructions will be in the box. Basically you go to a designated web site with your serial # and the AppleCare registration #.

Be very careful when buying off eBay. There are various scams including generated registration numbers, stolen retail boxes and selling the same number to multiple people. So be very cautious. If there are issues, the person with original receipt, retail packaging and registration # will have the best chance of it being legit.

If the phone was purchased in another country, I might check with Apple to make sure you can apply a U.S. purchased AppleCare to it.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard about Florida residents before beeing excluded from Applecare warranty but cant remember details.

9. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Really that might be the case then, because when I put the serial number in, I click on Extend Coverage, it says you can buy applecare as long as its before Jan 31.

When I go to checkout from the Apple site, it says for me to enter my billing which I do in Orlando, FL, it then says service not available in this location.

now, when i put like a NY address, it goes through.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It has to do with some issues with Florida State law.
    Anyone from Florida or North Carolina is not eligible for Applecare Protection so don't waste your time or money buying the Plan. If you try to register it and you are from those States you will get an error.

11. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thats good to know, because I tried to just buy the apple care plan alone and it would let me but not when i put in the serial info and then click extend coverage.

i guess it maybe because it is trying to register the plan with the phone in that address in Orlando?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats probably why.
    If you register it with a different address it will let you and your device will be covered.
    Thats one way of going around it I guess.

13. SnowDX macrumors 6502