iPhone + John Carmack = WIN

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UCLAKoolman, Aug 12, 2010.

1. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

2. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I emailed Carmack last month asking about Quake for the iPhone and he told me it isn't priority right now but he's working on something cool to show off today. He certainly did!

3. MacJones macrumors 6502

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Really sweet looking! I hope more top devs take the time to make QUALITY games for the i4 so we can see what the phone is capable of. :)

5. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

that was nothing but a tech demo. The graphics will get downgraded like all ID's games. There is a reason why they didn't show action going on.

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

[​IMG]

7. UCLAKoolman thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have an EVO, right? I'm glad you checked out this thread.

This is exactly why fragmentation of the android platform is killing it. The only Android phones with a capable enough gpu to run this are the Galaxy S and Nokia N8, and how much of market share do these two phones take up?

Developing a gaming engine like this for the iPhone is worth it because the iphone isn't such a moving target. Carmack can work with Apple with pre-released prototypes for one phone and know the tech will last for at least a year. Android phones keep leap frogging each other every week. Thats great for getting the latest and greatest but it makes it really hard and impractical for a cutting edge developer to design for. Unless Google sets some minimum spec requirements for Android phones, and ensures that these specs are updated simultaneously across android devices, we won't see something like this on Android any time soon.

8. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Favorite post evah.

9. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I have an EVO and a 3GS. Had a iphone 4 but returned it because of the issues. What does that have to do with what I posted?