iphone just delivered..before activation will this work??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RMferrer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. RMferrer macrumors member

I have been reading in these forums for the past few days and saw that some went to their local att and signed up for a 2 year agreement, recieved the promo phone offered to open a new account, then later that day activate their iphone. My question is....is there a certain amount of time in between i should wait before trying to activate the iphone. I'm probably going to head over to a local att soon.Then sign with att, get the free phone or something decent, go home and log on to itunes activate my iphone. This should do it correct.

My only concern is that since it takes time approx. 72 hrs to port a number from another carrier. How exactly will that work when i try to activate the iphone? Will there be any problems if the number is not completely ported and I try to activate the iphone? Or can i just get a new number for the promo phone for signing a new contract and then port my number from verizon?

I rather not get a new number bcuz of the inconvience that my patients and staff would have trying to get my new number

2. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

sweet! I hope you're enjoying your iPhone!

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

congrats on the iPhone, another one joins our ranks...

5. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

enjoy is an understatement. I haven't put it down since i activated it! If you ask me was it worth terminating my verizon account to have the iphone..the answer is...YES!

I hopefully the phone i got from ATT for signing up sells quick, so i can pay for the cancellation fee without a hassle:)

6. elistan macrumors 6502a

I don't understand something - why didn't you just get the iPhone directly? Is it to get the free phone?

And if you cancel - isn't your AT&T contract now an iPhone one, so if you cancel you'll loose your iPhone functionality?

7. RMferrer thread starter macrumors member

well think about it..i am a new customer and if i sign with att i'm locked in a 2 year contract. It would have been the same if i just activated the iphone. But since i went to att first i got a free phone out of it which i can sell,keep or whatever.

and no activating the iphone does not cancel service..it restarts your 2 year agreement..meaning if i decided to buy the iphone 2 months from the day i started with att then it would go from 22 months back to 24months the moment i activate the iphone. BUT since i activated the iphone the SAME DAY i got service from att it didn't matter.