iPhone just got stolen. Please advise.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by maddin4j, Apr 23, 2012.

1. maddin4j macrumors member

Hi!

So my iPhone 4S just got stolen today 2 and 1/2hrs ago as of this writing. Three males on bikes. I called the police and remote locked + wiped the phone after noticing that the thieves must have turned on Airplane mode right away because I didn't get an email confirmation from Find My Phone and the phone was not trackable.

My files are all on the cloud but obviously they can see my offline emails that are stored on the phone, photos, contacts, text/iMessages, and data that other apps store.

I changed my email accounts passwords just in case, changed Dropbox & Facebook password, called carrier to block the number & phone via its IMEI, and some other accounts.

However, I am worried about the fact that my iPhone was jailbroken. What could I have forgotten to change since they can access my phones file system?

Also, if they go home and erase it with iTunes right away, does iTunes check iCloud to see if it has been locked?

What other things may I want to check? I also looked through iTunes to see what apps were on it that store data but luckily apps like PayPal or Amazon require you to enter a password to do anything. My iTunes account also requires a password with every purchase. Unfortunately one of my finance apps doesn't have a passcode lock, but it shouldn't be of any use to the thieves.

It would be really helpful if you guys could let me know of other things that I should check off the "What to do when my iPhone gets stolen"-list.

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing much you can do.
    If you issued a remote wipe command then next time the phone is turned on and connects to 3G or wifi will erase.
    If you suspended the line then the command wont go through untill they connect the iphone to wifi.
    So wait till you get confirmation that the remote wipe has been initiated and then suspend your line.

3. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

I did a remote lock as quickly as possible, but never got a confirmation that that worked so they must have put the phone into Airplane mode. So they are pretty smart at what they are doing.

Tracking didn't work either even after 5 mins when the police arrived. I was also told by the officer that its better to do a remote wipe as it is unlikely they will find my phone again.

I blocked the phone and sim via the carrier, contacted Apple Care just now so they can't swap the phone at an Apple Store.

Do you think iTunes checks with iCloud before erasing if the phone has been issued a remote wipe/lock? I'm asking because iTunes always goes online when you restore your iPhone.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

As a side note, that is interesting. If they know this, that means your area is the place of many a similar theft, unless you got a Genius cop.

If you remotely wiped the phone and got no confirmation email, a chance is they have restored iOS, which means you don't have to be worried about your personal data. I hope they did.

5. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

No I am sure they turned on Airplane Mode because like I said, I did a remote lock first and very shortly after the incident. No email for that. There is therefore no guarantee that they restored my iPhone.

And yes I live in London, so apparently this happens often here. I've heard quite a number of stories. I even remember a man on the street once telling me (because I was using my iPhone when he saw me) that he just saw such an incident happening.

But you know, you can never be ready for such a situation.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe they shut off the iphone or took out the sim and havent connected to wifi for the erase command to receive.
    I dont think itunes checks with icloud but if they plug it to itunes to restore it either way your information will be deleted.

7. maddin4j thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but what if they didn't. I was using my phone so obviously it was unlocked. As I said, they could have just put the phone into Airplane mode. By doing that they have access to all the data that is stored on the phone.

8. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Wow, you got jacked by 3 dudes on bikes? This is why I carry a katana at all times..

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, thats a risk you take when you dont have a passcode lock setup with short time lock interval.

A katana at all times on you? Where do you hide it in your back pocket? :D