iPhone keeps beeping (charging) when plugged into my Macbook Air

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christian 5G, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I want to put two songs from my iTunes in my iPhone 5s, so I have the USB part form the charger connected to my MacBook Air, and when I plug in my iPhone, it makes the beep sound that the phone is charging, only it keeps beeping and it won't stop. Then I look on my computer, a window whould pop up and say "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. This device is no longer connected.". Once I unplug my phone, I would press ok on that window so many times for it to dissappear, like if that window is open so many times. Is this my computer not working or is it the iPhone? How can I get my iPhone connected to my Macbook air, and safely put in the music?

Thank you for your help!! Very appreciated

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

3. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I have tried another cable. It is still just as it was

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

your lightning port could be dirty/ have lint inside. i've seen it plenty of times.

5. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Try a simple power your phone all the way off and then turn it back on. I've had this issue twice before when I plugged my phone into my car. It could just keep connecting over and over until I cycled power on the phone.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

This..it happened to me last month...Took it to Apple Store and they took out dirty/lint out. It worked out just fine. :apple:

7. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Do I have to make an appointment for that or just walk in?

Thanks for the info

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The way their appointments work is they will make one if they aren't busy when you walk in. pretty much everything "requires" an appointment. At this time of year I would recommend making one over walking in.

That said, just blow into the port with some compressed air or run a cotton swap or toothpick (gently) in there. They probably aren't going to do anything to clean it that you aren't also able to do yourself.

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

Blowing air in wont do anything. Something thin like a paper clip. Just be careful and gentle.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've had air work just fine. Really depends on what is in there to be honest. Air is going to be the least invasive with almost no chance of causing damage. I don't personally recommend sticking anything metal in there, but to each his own.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would suggest air as well or a wooden toothpick and being gentle. Have you tried just a charging block and cable in an outlet to see if it still beeps that way?

12. Dezryth macrumors member

Dezryth

I'd try a toothpick or something..

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Better to make an appointment. That is what I did. :apple:

14. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

I had this happen with a specific lighting cable. Another cable was fine. Didn't try cleaning the contacts, will try that sometime.

15. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Little update.

I have tried a cable from my roommate and it worked with no problems.

Looks like my cable ran out of its life but it just doesn't make sense that I use it to charge a phone from wall outlet but can't use it to charge from my macbook. Yes, the cable is from the box that came with my iPhone 5s last year.

Thanks for the help. I will have to go buy a new cable from Apple

16. midorosan macrumors newbie

I used a proper iPhone cable and it worked, before I was using the cable from the trackpad, problem solved.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Apple is pretty good about replacing cables for free. Take the defective one and ask nicely.

18. Mother2midwife macrumors newbie

Same thing happening to me... This is how it randomly stopped:

- I completely powered down my iPad (held down power and round buttons together till it turned off)
    - connected charging cable to my Mac desktop
    - connected charging cable to my iPad (which powered it up- No dinging)
    - when it was done powering up, I unlocked my iPad (No dinging)
    - I then disconnected the cable from the iPad (but cable was still plugged into computer USB)
    - then I connected it again to my iPad (no dinging, & iTunes/iPhoto popped up like they usually do!)

I HOPE this helps someone else!

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My sister has been having the same problem lately as well, but we have determined that the issue is her logic board and USB ports. Seems that every USB device connects, disconnects, connects and so on unless she is firmly holding the USB connector in the port.

20. TechoNigel macrumors newbie

Thank you gave it a try with a small piece of stiff card and some isopropyl alcohol and it works fine! its had me and Apple support baffled for weeks.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    I used a piece of stiff card a paper clip may short out the lighting connector, maybe a plastic or wooden cocktail would be best.