iPhone keeps emailing mystery person

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ericinboston, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ericinboston macrumors 68000

I have a weird problem that I cannot resolve on my 9 month old iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0.1:

When I am creating an email, and I type the letter J (to find my sister Jen), it pops up with 2 listings:

Jen
    and
    Jen--M2M

There is no "Jen" in my Contacts. In fact, I likely renamed "Jen" to "Jen--M2M" months ago when I was labeling who was on my Mobile-2-Mobile minutes.

Now...the "Jen" that the iPhone keeps finding also has the WRONG email address...a typo has it as .con instead of .com.

So my problem is 2-fold:

1)There is a mystery Jen somewhere on my phone that I cannot find

2)The Jen has an incorrect email...so when I accidentally choose Jen, I get a bounceback.

So...does anyone know how I can find and delete this Jen that seems to be forever cached in my iPhone?

-Eric

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Hit the home button and type in Jen in the search bar.
    Anywhere there is a jen on your phone it will be listed there

3. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

I should have mentioned that I did that already...It lists Jen--M2M and then any song with the word Jen in it and then any emails that I have received/sent to a recipient with the word Jen in it. I have also confirmed that there is no 2nd email attached to Jen--M2M.

So no...there is definitely no "Jen" on my phone anywhere.

My gut is there is a bug...and here's how to make the bug happen:

1)Create a Contact with an email address
    2)Send an email to that Contact
    3)Rename the Contact
    4)Send an email to the renamed Contact and you will ALSO see the old Contact name

No, I do not want to try steps 1-4 on another Contact...I have 1 mystery person already. :)

-Eric

4. Raydiatur macrumors newbie

Maybe someone used your phone?
    Or someone used your email account from a computer?

I have some addresses that show up when I type in the email address, but they're not in my contacts nor are they saved on my email.

I have only just frequently emailed those people and it kinda "saves" them.

5. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm sure it was me...that I just typed in her wrong email at some point in the past. But my argument is that there seems to be NO WAY for me to go into this "cache" and clean stuff out.

I am attaching a screenshot for folks to see of me creating a new email. Yes, I blacked out the email addresses on purpose.

-Eric

Attached Files:

6. davelanger macrumors 6502a

What if you delete the real Jen as a contract fully, then make a new contact named Jen.

7. Raydiatur macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Same problem here. I have old emails of some friends or peeps that won't go away. Even though I don't plan on emailing them ever again. What client do you use?

I can't pull up the attachment on my iPhone somehow.

I use Gmail if that helps any.

8. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

My gut says that won't work as I believe this is a caching problem...regardless of me deleting things, the iPhone would still have the info in its super secret cache that (oddly) I cannot open up and delete stuff. I'm surprised Apple hasn't put such a Cache Explorer feature in the iPhone. What if you wanted to give/sell the device? Or nuke a few things as people's contact info always changes?

I'd like to hear from others that may have experienced this problem before I start deleting things. :)

-Eric

9. Raydiatur macrumors newbie

Just restore the device through iTunes. That's all.

10. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    At some point you used some syncing program to sync either your eMail, FaceBook, or some other program.

Likely it was for your eMail account and it for some reason decided that the contacts from some random chain eMail ( perhaps something funny that had been forwarded many times before you ) had contacts that were important to you.

In reality, its a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend .................

Let me Guess, you have gMail , Yes ?

11. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Huh? I'm not following you.

The only thing I have synched my iPhone with is iTunes...about 4 times since Aug 2009...to simply get my music.

Yes, I have Gmail as an account but I also have 3 other email accounts tied to my iPhone...every account that I try to create a new message pops up this Jen.

-Eric

12. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

What do you mean? And why?

-Eric

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

sounds like you just typed in the wrong email in her old contact once and it has saved it like it does with email address that you email even though they are not in your contacts, - it's impossible to guess where it has picked up the wrong email from but likely from a contact if it is the same email but just with .con instead of .com

the restore meas that if you restore then it gets rid off ALL data to if you sell or want a clean phone you just restore and it deletes EVERYTHING off the phone.

also if you use a mac then if you sync from the mac then in mail.app there is a setting to delete previously emailed addresses which might work - this wouldnt affect your contacts.

14. ericinboston thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok...well then I'm not going to nuke my phone and then spend hours entering in all my contact info again. :) ...and ringtones, and music, pix, etc.

Too bad there's not an "app for that" to fix this problem.

-Eric

15. applerocks macrumors regular

Isn't everything on your computer? Your contacts, music, ringtones, etc. should all be synced on your computer with iTunes. If so, there would be no work involved for you. It would wipe your phone, then put it all back. Normally, I'd say just use the backup, but obviously your backup would have the wonky info in it too.

Your iPhone saves an email address if you sent mail to them. It doesn't magically come up with typos ("n" is right next to "m", so that probably explains the ".con"). The only way to get rid of it is a restore, and really, probably not worth it.