Iphone keeps rebooting...unless connected to the computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hobafr01, Sep 28, 2010.

1. hobafr01 macrumors newbie

Iphone keeps shutting off and rebooting. But, it gets stuck on the apple icon, and then goes black. Then it goes back to the apple icon. Once in a while, I can get it to turn on, but it always reboots again at some point.

If I connect it to the computer, it turns on, and it IS recognized by itunes. However, the Iphone usually goes crazy and starts blinking on and off, and the "slide to power off" screen often pops up when plugged into the computer, also. But, it still charges.

I have an Iphone 3g. It is jailbroken, and it is 3.1.2 software. Any suggestions on what to do? I am currently in China and need the phone to stay jailbroken in order for me to use it.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well there are several things I would normally suggest but I have one on my desk right this second doing the exact same thing. I have determined it is the on/off button. I am in the process of replacing the headphone jack cable. I put the board in another phone it worked perfectly.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like water damage or some kind of hardware fault.
    See if a restore would fix it.

4. hobafr01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have discovered that as long as I am doing something on the phone, it stays on. If I am listening to music, it is ok. But it does still keep trying to shut off, and eventually does if I leave it alone. Any ideas??? I don't want to restore it yet because then I'd have to downgrade and jailbreak it again, and I don't have wireless access right now.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well you can download the 3.1.2 IPSW from felixbruns and then (after you have backed up your phone in iTunes) hit shift restore, then look for the IPSW you downloaded and click on it and click ok then it will restore using the same firmware you have now. but you will need internet access to get the IPSW. maybe you can use someone elses computer and put it on a flash drive to get it to your pc. but you will have to jailbreak again but not downgrade. if your phone will stay on for any lenght of time most likely its not the power button. the one I fixed yesterday would keep rebooting cause it was jammed in so it was basically always being pressed. normally I would have suggested the same think applejuice said.