iphone keeps rebootng when unplugged works fine when plugged

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphone1g3gs, Jan 27, 2010.

1. iphone1g3gs macrumors newbie

I have an iphone 1G, recently it started continuously rebooting when I unplug it from the computer. A few seconds after unplugging it shows me the red slider bar to turn it off. If I ignore, it turns it self off (screen goes blank) and turns back on get the apple logo and again the slider bar. This goes on in a continuous loop. When I plug it in to the computer, it works perfectly fine, itunes recognizes it, I can sync stuff and everything. I tried to restore it to factory settings but it did not help. Does anyone know what the issue could be? Could it be that my battery is dead/too weak? Any solutions? Advice?

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Either the battery or sounds lke water/liquid damage also.
    Check the sensors to see if they turned red.

3. iphone1g3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think it could be water damage, where are the sensors located?
    If it's the battery what options do I have? Can I get a new apple battery?

I took it to the apple store they told me the screen has gone bad and would be $199 to fix - I dont understand if that was the case how does it work fine when connected to the computer.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Theres a sensor inside the headphone jack and one on the bottom charging dock.
    You can check them with a flashlight. They should be silver if good, red or pink if exposed to moisture.
    Even if its the battery or the screen Apple will still charge $199 and they will take your iphone give you another one.

5. iphone1g3gs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info abt the sensors. I will check them out. As for the new phone for $199, will it be a 1G phone (since mine is 1G) or would it be a later model? also I am guessing it will be refurbed?

About $199 in either case - apple store guy told me if just the battery is bad they give another phone for $79 and let you keep the old phone while Apple tech support said you can just get the battery changed for $79 at an apple store. Conflicting info from apple tech support and apple store!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they will give you the 1st Generation again and most likelly a refurb.
    If you can get away with the $79 deal go for it. But make sure they're certain its the battery thats causing this and they dont just replace it and you go home with the same problem. Try to have them swap it for your for another unit instead if you can.