iPhone keeps spending money after jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by spindash, Jun 16, 2010.

1. spindash macrumors newbie

I don't know what's happening, I think the apps keep connecting to the Internet to check for updates or maybe it's Cydia. All I know it that money keeps disappearing... So is there anyway I can block apps from accessing the web, or any other way to solve my problem?:confused:

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Money keeps disappearing from where? Your carrier account? The iTunes store account?

3. spindash thread starter macrumors newbie

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

5. theclueless macrumors member

things will keep on using the internet:
    email (unless set to manual)
    push notification
    apps that use internet when launched

any of these is enabled?

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ on your iphone while on wifi, then follow the instructions to install the APN block.

Also next week when iOS4 comes out it has a cell data switch.

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Just turn off 3G in settings > Network and then the only time you'll be able to connect is when you have WI-FI

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Turning off 3G just turns off 3G. The phone will still access the internet using edge, not solving the OPs problem.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So let me get this right...

Your money keeps disappearing and your speculating that since your jailbroke your iPhone, it is stealing it and going out and spending it while you are sleeping at night?

Sorry, I had to.

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

put it into airplane mode...?

Idk how this could really be happening though

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

This is why people who choose the 200MB data plan have to worry. The iPhone is designed to constantly access the internet. Email and push notifications are the biggest things that constantly access the net and use up your data.

I used to have a GoPhone account that I used with my iPhone. I had well over $100 credit in there at one time. I decided I was going to go to sleep listening to a radio station on WiFi. Well, as you know, the iPhone switched to edge/3G when it sleeps. Within two hours, my $100 in credit was wiped out once the iPhone switched to edge/3G when it went to sleep.

The OP obviously doesn't have an unlimited data plan so he is worried that it will use up all his data.

The only way to stop it is to either use airplane mode or use a fake APN but that fake APN will stop all data and it's a pain to have to go in change that APN to the correct one, every time he wants to use data again. Airplane mode also stops the phone from ringing.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I forgot to mention in my post that since your iPhone is jailbroken, you can install SBSettings. There is a setting in there to turn off edge. That will block all internet traffic and still allow the iPhone take and make calls.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My iphone is worst than my girl.
    It spends my money left and right :D

14. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Upgrade to 4.0, and turn off mobile data. Problem solved.

15. spindash thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all I'd like to thank for everyone's opinions and I think I've found the problem. I accidentally logged in to Openfeint while playing Fruit Ninja and every time I played the game it connected me to their servers/leaderboards etc. I turned it off now and so far no more money gone. Let's wait and see if it continues. ;)