Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I have an iPhoe 3g, on 3.1.2, with a voice only plan, with all IPX connections blocked.

Lately, Fido(my carrier) must've allowed push notifications, because my iPhone gives me the "cannot access data network" message at random times(whereas it did before only when I actually asked it to access data when not on wi-fi). ical is not allowed to fetch data, mail isn't either.

I have no apps that allow push notifications that I know of, I deleted the only one(facebook app), but the phone still wants to access data out of nowhere, about once every 5 minutes, it happens especially on the SMS screen, but it may be my imagination.

I have not tried resetting the phone or restoring it, though I don't think that would change much.

The "pop-ups" telling me I don't have cellular data network are starting to annoy me, and I'm trying to find their source so that I can eliminate them, if anyone has an idea, I'd much appreciate it.

DPA

macrumors 65816
Behind the GUI, you iPhone uses the data network to do many things that you may not be aware of. If you have, in fact, turned off ALL push notifications then you shouldn't be getting this message too often but still regularly. This could, also, be a false error message which a Restore would fix. Unless you are jailbroken, there's not much too lose. You can restore from a backup and not lose anything. It doesn't take too long either. I recommend doing a restore and see what that does. Out of curiosity, how often are you getting these messages? Are they while doing specific tasks? How is your signal strength when you get them?

DPA

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Behind the GUI, you iPhone uses the data network to do many things that you may not be aware of. If you have, in fact, turned off ALL push notifications then you shouldn't be getting this message too often but still regularly. This could, also, be a false error message which a Restore would fix. Unless you are jailbroken, there's not much too lose. You can restore from a backup and not lose anything. It doesn't take too long either. I recommend doing a restore and see what that does. Out of curiosity, how often are you getting these messages? Are they while doing specific tasks? How is your signal strength when you get them?

DPA

They seem more or less random, occuring(at least in my impression) a bit more often when viewing the text message home screen.

After I posted this, it quit doing it out of nowhere, which is rather odd. Would a restore delete the pictures I took with my phone?

Edit: Signal strength is usually fine. As I was typing this, I opened up the iphone, went to a random text message, and 15 seconds later, the error message popped up. I seem to be able to reproduce this more or less regularily. I'll try a restore, apart from some pictures, I haven't much to lose.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
yes but if u have a mac, u can save all those pictures by importing them into iphoto. open iphoto, got to ur phone on the sidebar, over the the bottom right area, click import all. then disconnect and restore ur phone. if u have a pc, then you will have to download some software....i think picasa works for this...http://picasa.google.com/

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
yes but if u have a mac, u can save all those pictures by importing them into iphoto. open iphoto, got to ur phone on the sidebar, over the the bottom right area, click import all. then disconnect and restore ur phone. if u have a pc, then you will have to download some software....i think picasa works for this...http://picasa.google.com/

I don't really mind losing them, I know how to import them to iphoto, thanks for mentionning it anyway. Cheers!

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Restoring seems to have changed nothing. I did a restore then restored from a backup. Maybe a restore as a new phone would work? Any input is appreciated.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Restoring seems to have changed nothing. I did a restore then restored from a backup. Maybe a restore as a new phone would work? Any input is appreciated.

I just did a full restore, and while I was resetting my iPhone as it was, I discovered the Fetch menu for Mail, and everything was set to push, so the countless error messages I had been getting were all the junk mail university sends me.

Problem solved. The restore did speed things up a bit though.

DPA

macrumors 65816
I just did a full restore, and while I was resetting my iPhone as it was, I discovered the Fetch menu for Mail, and everything was set to push, so the countless error messages I had been getting were all the junk mail university sends me.

Problem solved. The restore did speed things up a bit though.

Good to hear you got it fixed! Thanks for posting your solution for other viewer to see. If you have any other questions, we're always here to help!

DPA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.