iPhone Keyboard %166 More Error Prone Than Blackberry

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Nov 26, 2008.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love the keyboard, and the auto correct *almost* always fixes all my mistakes. I would like to see the blackberry auto correct as well as the iphone does.

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Like the above poster, the auto-correct almost always helps me out and fixes words for me.
    And I doubt the Storm has auto-correct.
    Plus, the iPhone's keyboard looks so much cooler than the Storm's.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    And we don't have to deal with the god-awful "suretype" crap. It sucks that that is only option you have for typing in portrait mode.

4. Benjic macrumors regular

I bought a storm specifically to test side by side with my iPhone as far as typing speed and the fact of the matter is, that you ARE limited by how fast the screen clicks, if you type fast enough that your finger is on one letter as it leaves another, you'll have mistakes aplenty with the storm. You HAVE to wait for the screen to pop back up to type another letter.

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Fanboyism at its finest.

You doubt it has auto-correct? It does BTW.

God-awful "suretype crap"? Have you even tried the Storm? As an iPhone user for a year and a half I say with no bias, and I LOVED the iPhone and wish I could still use it, that the Storm keyboard and typing mechanism is better.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The reason for this is very obvious. With the SurePress you are FORCED to type much slower, thus resulting in less mistakes. Whether or not this is a good thing is up to you. For me personally, the storm's keyboard is annoying as hell. I type much faster than the screen allows, so I definitely prefer the iPhone's keyboard, but that's just my opinion.

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I disagree, but thats your opinion. If you dont like suretype go to landscape for full qwerty. Something the iPhone doesnt offer yet in sms or email.

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If you jailbreak you can type SMS in landscape.
    And there are several apps, which you don't need to jailbreak for, that allow landscape email.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

As time goes by I hate the auto correct more and more. It seems with every OS update typing gets harder and harder.

I once tried typing niffer as in nifferific and yeah the thing replaced the "f"s with "G"s. Didn't notice and had a very angry boss when I got into the office.

IMO the Blackberry sucks in every respect, but at least one can type, well at least until the buttons stop responding.

10. rioja macrumors regular

At first I hated the auto-correct, but I've learned to let it do its job. Without any real buttons to press I'd be hunting & pecking my way through every email, it would drive me insane.

To each his own I suppose....

11. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

This "study" only studied 40 people. Pfft.

I hate the Blackberry keyboard. The shift keys aren't where they're supposed to be. I can type very well on the iPhone keyboard. I'm much slower on a physical keyboard.

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

1. That article is dated November 2007.

2. It uses a sample size of 20 iPhone users and 20 "other".

3. There were 1.5 million iPhones sold by that time.

4. This makes the "survey" useless. It would need a sample size of 400 to be meaningful.

With a sample size of 1 iPhone user (myself) I notice an error rate of 0.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Yes, auto-correct can be a problem if you are not typing actual words.

Edit: I take that back. I just typed niffer no problem, once I made sure I wasn't hitting the g key. I don't think you got that through auto-correct, just bad aim.

14. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Apple should implement some sort of custom dictionary. Not sure why they havent. They claim it is suppose to learn how you type but it never did for me. There are some abbreviations I used alot and it always tried to give me something else.

15. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it learns from me
    i like to type a lot as alot (1 word)
    after trying to change it to slot 3 times and being denied, the iPhone learned that i treat alot as a word and never tried to correct it again

thats just 1 example but it has worked with many things for me
    it learns the slang and abbreviations you use no problem
    however, after 2.0 the dictionary got reset, and also if you restore often like some people do, the dictionary is reset if you dont restore from backup
    so that obviously affects things

and also, a 40 person study?
    any real researcher would laugh at basing a conclusion on such a small amount of data
    its just not reliable

test me in that group. i make sure i fix everything
    they just picked 20 lazy people

16. Project macrumors 68020

I dont think the iPhone auto correct gets enough credit. Its quite frankly, amazing.

17. gregk205 macrumors member

If you read the article it is not talking about the storm or the pearl. It is talking about traditional Blackberry's. It clearly states in the article "regular hard mobile qwerty keyboards" :eek:

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

19. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I enjoy my iPhones keyboard.
    A friend of mine has the storm, I've played with it.
    I just enjoy my iPhone more, the keyboard on the storm isn't too bad though.
    Just not as quick on the keyboard.

20. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

Owning both a BB and an iPhone, I can tell you that Suretype works fairly well...

and FYI, even though I like the iPhone more, the BBPearl's keyboard is infinitely better.

21. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I love suretype, it works awesome on the Blackberry pearl. :D

22. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I am the proud new owner of a Storm and I gotta say, the keyboard is better than the iPhone's. Sorry guys. I can type super fast on it. I have a touch and I can type fast with two thumbs on it as well, but not nearly as quick or with less mistakes as on my BB.

Now remember, I am an Apple Fanboy before I am a Blackberry Fanboy (do they exist??) so I am pretty unbiased...I think :p:).

If the iPhone came out for Verizon today, I would sit in the VZW store for a good hour, just holding the two phones in my hands, not knowing what to do :D.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Agree, .......no comparison to the two imo.

24. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Haha so much cooler